1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network HD Receiver

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by niners78, Apr 27, 2007.

1. niners78

niners78 Member

I am looking to purchase a Dish Network HD receiver on e-bay. I am wondering if I can use the Dish 811 receiver or the newer vip 211 with a Dish 500 and a Dish Pro LNB. I am not looking to sign up with HD programming right now. I just want to take advantage of the up-conversion feature that both offer. With the 811 it connects to the HDTV with DVI-HDTV/DISH DVI (DVI-D) and HD Component video outputs. I only have HDMI inputs. If I use a DVI to HDMI cable will I loose picture quality or should I get the vip 211 with the HDMI output? Any help would be appreciated.

2. MIDNITE14

MIDNITE14 Member

YOU CAN USE THE DISH 500 BUT TO GET THE HD PRGRAMS YOU HAVE TO USE A DISH 300 POINTED TO 61.5 FOR THE 811 OR 211 AND 129 WITH 211 TO GET LOCALS IN HD YOU CAN ALSO USE THE DVI TO HDMI AND NOT LOSE PICTURE QUALITY IM NOT SURE IF THE STANDARD DEFINITON CHANNELS WILL BE ANY CLEARER WITH THE HDMI OR DVI THO THEN IT WOULD BE WITH S-VIDEO BUT TRUST ME IF YOU HAVE AN HD TV YOU WILL REALLY ENJOY THE HD CHANNELS FROM DISH THEY HAVE MORE THEN DIRECT OR CABLE AND THE 211 CAN RECIEVE MORE CHANNELS THE THE 811 BECAUSE IT IS A MPEG 4 RECIEVER ANY THING I CAN DO TO HELP JUST LET ME KNOW IM NOT BRAGGING BUT IM SORT OF AN EXPERT ON DISH AND HD

3. niners78

niners78 Member

I went ahead and got the VIP 211 receiver off of e-bay and I am now looking for a HDMI cable. When I have been looking around, I have discovered different speeds. 5 gbps up to 10+ gbps. What speed should I look into? I have a Phillips 42" Plasma. I am thinking that I only need the 5 gbps. Am I correct?

Thank you