1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish PVR 501

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by st_pat, May 26, 2004.

1. st_pat

st_pat Guest

Ive checked DishRip and all but couldnt really find what i needed...is there any way for me to capture from my pvr without ripping the harddrive out? Would I need a capture card?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Why don"t you explain what "Dish PVR 501" is??
    And also explain how it is set up Like what cables it has and were do these Cables go and tell up what type of Capture card you have and any other relevant Information you can think of Cuz try as hard as I can I can"t seem to read your Mind ..Well not from this distance...lol

Cheers

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

delete me!!

Last edited: May 26, 2004
  4. st_pat

st_pat Guest

sorry that i wasnt very specific mate! i just figured that who ever knew the answer to my question would know what a dish pvr 501 was. and i asked would i need a capture card.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well If it is a Device that hooks up to your TV and Plays video on it then "YES" you can capture to your PC with any Analogue Capture device...As long as the device has a S-Video or RCA Video/Audio outputs then you can hook it up to any Capture device....

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Minion: It's a Dish Network receiver/PVR.

st_pat: Yes you can capture from it with a capture card. Keep in mind that this won't give you the stream capture that the extraction method from Dishrip will because the signal is being converted to analog before it gets to the capture card.

I capture from my plain Dish Network receiver using the S-Video and Stereo RCA connections and get a great signal. There is one advantage to doing it this way. You can capture in a DVD compliant resolution, which Dish Network video streams definitely are not.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: May 26, 2004
  7. st_pat

st_pat Guest

thanx

8. Sointense

Sointense Member

I have a Dish network PVR-501. Is there anyway to capture the video directly off the drive if I pull it and connect it up to my PC?

Its got a 30 Gig hard drive in it.

9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

There's a Yahoo group called Dishrip where you should be able to get all the software and info you need.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dishrip/

I'm not sure what their instructions say, but if you're making DVDs I'd recommend at least testing whether you can author straight from the ripped files instead of re-encoding. Not all players can handle it, and you need software that's designed to change MPEG headers to fool your DVD player. I'd recommend DVD-Lab for that. If you go that route, be sure to make a test disc first in case your player puts borders around the picture instead of stretching it. If your player supports it you'll be able to get the highest quality results and spend the least time doing it.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  10. Sointense

Sointense Member

Cool beans. I'm on my way!!!