1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dishnetwork in 2 different locations? Possible?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Oner, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Hey everyone I have a question, I want to be able to have Dishnetwork in my house in NYC & in Florida but I want to only pay for it one bill. Not have 2 seperate Dish bills for 2 different locations.

I know it would work in the same state/area but would it also work for a different state as I am sure they would be pointed at different azimuth's/satellites.

I already have a compatible (I hope/think it is) second Dish "antenna" for the Florida house install so that is covered, as well as an extra switch and other needed stuff.

Any info on this would be really appreciated as it would save me paying double the amount for 2 houses. Thank You

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Have you looked into possibly a FTA receiver?? It might help your situation :)

Jerry

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i believe it's darthnip that has all the info you need, oner. he's a big fta guy, if memory serves. give'im a pm :D

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Without knowing the exact details of U.S. satellites, my understanding would be that as NYC and Florida are after all relatively close to each others, it should be entirely possible to point both dishes to the same satellite, even if the Dish would use different satellite for different regions. Obviously this would need slightly bigger dish in the location that is not within the satellite's intended area (bit like us Finns watching UK satellites, we need a dish of appx. 90-120cm rather than the 30cm used in London).

Edit:

And it seems that they have only two satellite positions you need to worry about and the "Dish 500" is aimed so that it picks up both. And as they are same satellites whatever your ZIP code, it means that your equipment should work in both locations:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/getdish/what_is/DISH_Pointing_Angles.pdf

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  5. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I was 90% sure it would but needed to be sure. It makes sense as the reciever doesn't know where it is at only what signal it receives. I will try it out and repost when I can Thanx guys for the info.

6. mdovell

mdovell Guest

In all honesty I've heard of some DSS users splitting an account. Basically the companies know you can have more than one receiver (i.e. more than one tv hooked up) I've heard of some that do this and then buy another dish and split an account 2 or 3 ways.

So instead of a $60 bill it's 30 or even 20. I think this might work for you.