1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk Appears Empty

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by esorkered, Jan 16, 2007.

1. esorkered

esorkered Member

Hi. I am trying to burn a data DVD using nero. I have tried first, once with data verification and once without. The first time it completed burning but then the program froze when it tried to verfiy. The second time I recieved the message saying the burn was completed successfully, but when I tried to open the disk, it shows no files. Im using nero 6.3.1.17. Thanks.

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

put the disc into your drive click "My Computer" then click the drive the dvd is in if something is on the dvd it should open

3. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  4. esorkered

esorkered Member

Thats what I do, that is how I know its empty. If I look at the disk itself, I can see the where it was burned, but the drive wont read it.

I just tried backing up one of my concert dvd's using dvd shrink and the dvd decrypter, but that turned out the same way. The entire process appeared to be successful, but the dvd wont play. When I try to explore the disk it either freezes or says there are no files on the disk. It worked fine last time I tried, which was just a month ago, but now I can burn anything. I really dont know too much about computers or burning, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

esorkered, ok it could be a number of things so let start here

make sure your firmware is up to date on your drive ,check here

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

you could have software confliting .do you happen to have roxio loaded on your machine?

try uninstalling and doing a clean reinstall of your burning software

make sure you are using quality media is in Taiyo Yuden and or Verbatim not burning above 8x max.

try using different software like clonedvd 2 + anydvd ,here a link and guides to follow

http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/

does the backup you made play on anything??

and last your burner may be going bad

6. esorkered

esorkered Member

No, my backup wont play anything. I just tried it in my xbox to double check, and it said it was unplayable. I looked at that list of firmware, but I dont know which one would be right for me. I checked my system info and it says my drive is a TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L532A. It's what came installed when i got my laptop from gateway. Could it be going bad already? Ive only used it a couple times, and its only a year and a half old.

7. esorkered

esorkered Member

Could reformating my harddrive help?

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i would say test the drive , call gateway and they can walk you though it. reformatting isn't going to help a drive problem

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Here's a strange problem I ran into and a test you can do on your system. If you get a burn on recordable media and it isn't finalized, then it reads as empty. I had a drive that stopped finalizing burns on a system. I had some software that would open it, but player apps like Nero Showtime and WMP wouldn't open the DVDs. Looking at the back of a disc, you can see a burn pattern if any burning has taken place. Since RWs don't need to be finalized, will play on your PC and some standalones, try recording to one of those and see if you get anything. Strange thing happened and I don't know what the deal was to this day and I know a lot about hardware. I didn't trash the drive and put it in a PC as a reader because it was still working well except for burning DVD recordable. In the other PC it started working. To this day no one has been able to explain what happened. But back to your problem, try recording with an RW and let us know what happens. Besides, you won't make any coasters that way. ;)

10. esorkered

esorkered Member

I havent gotten to the store to pick up any dvdrw's yet, but is there anyway I can try to manually finalize the disks that Im having trouble with?

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The drive does it at the end of a burn as part of the burn process.

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Out of curiosity, will the drive burn a workable audio CD?

13. esorkered

esorkered Member

I just tried to burn one using itunes and it worked fine.

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Next is to try a burn with a DVD RW. Sounding more like the mysterious problem I encountered.

15. esorkered

esorkered Member

I'll get some dvdrw's next time I get a chance to go to the store. I'll update you guys when i do.

16. esorkered

esorkered Member

Ok, I got a pack of DVD+rw's and i tried to burn. It has the same problem as the DVD+R. I have never used this kind of disk before, is there anything special i need to do to it? I just used nero to burn a DVD data disk and checked the multisession option. I did a quick search to see if i needed to format the disk to be used for rewriting, but i didnt find anything. I also tried to erase the disk after the burn, but it now says its not a RW. Any ideas of what I should try now?

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I use a utility (dvdinfopro) to reformat the RWs when I go to reuse them. They record just like any other disc. Let's give data a rest and try a video. Try recording a video and see if it will open in your player software. Use Recode or Nero Express to burn the video.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  18. esorkered

esorkered Member

I tried burning my DVD image using nero onto a DVD+RW but i am having the same problem. On top of that, after the burn it doesnt recognize the disk as a DVD+RW anymore, so I do not have the option to erase the disk. This is the case with both nero express and windows explorer. To test if the problem was with reading dvds, i tried playing a disk which i burned several months ago and it worked fine. So I think this at least narrows down the problem to the burn process, but I really dont know.

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

DVDInfoPro will reformat RWs. It's free. Nero also has the Erase Disc feature. In the Nero Toolkit look for Nero CD-DVD Speed and look under Extras. I may be wrong, but my first opinion is that you have a drive headed south. It would be easy to check if you have another drive to slip in where the one you're using is mounted. If given the option, don't finalize RWs.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  20. esorkered

esorkered Member

I dont have another drive, and honestly, I dont even know how to change a drive in a laptop. Is there anything I can try with the drive I already have?