1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by MrLeo, Nov 24, 2004.

1. MrLeo

MrLeo Member

I have an old pc that I have installed XP on that is acting up on me. It will intermittently give me the DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER at boot and other times will go straight into XP. ANy ideas?

AMD Duron Processor
    1.1 GHz
    480 MB RAM
    28.6 GB HD
    ASUS Motherboard A7N266-VM

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

reseat all cables to drives & motherboard. is harddrive making any different sounds that usual

3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I had this problem, it was a connection on my hard drive. The thing is, is that, it would boot up when DMA in the BIOS was disabled. This meant I burnt for a short while in PIO mode. I fitted another hard drive & decided to repair the connection myself. It worked a treat & DMA is enabled again.
    I also found that this was an intermittent problem, as yours appears.
    Hope this helps,
    Kind regards,
    Pulsar

4. madcav

madcav Member

Make sure your XP disc is bootable. If it isn't it will give this message. ie a coppied disc isn't bootable, unless you make it bootable.....

5. dese

dese Guest

i foudn my dads computer and reconnecting everything but when i plug in...it makes a weird high pitch sound and i get this error when starting "Disk boot failure, insert system disk adn press enter"

6. ddp

dese, open the computer case, disconnect all drive cables from harddrive & cdrom than powerup system to see if still have high pitch squeal. if does try locate the noise. if no squeal, reconnect one drive at a time & power up system to locate that squeal.

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

For some reason your PC is not picking up your hard drive, hence it will not boot up & is asking for the boot disc. Check the IDE lead is in firmly & correctly. Are you getting a feed to your HD, is their definitely a voltage?
    Make sure the jumper setting is on master, in your bios make sure first boot is HDD0.
    Follows ddps instructions to source the noise.
    Hope this helps,
    Pulsar

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  8. Divinus

Divinus Guest

One of my older computers (Athlon 1GHz) has this very same problem when I installed XP on it. I found it to be a bad or old IDE cable. I had a 40GB HD on it and sometimes it'd get the book disk failure and at times the BIOS wouldn't even pick up the drive. I replaced the IDE cable and everything worked great.

9. dese

dese Guest

well this is actually my first time doing this so i am confused...does any1 know if they can give me like a detailed guide on how to hook everythign up..pictures would be amazing

i am in major that requires the ppl to use a computer so i am trying to get this one to work so i'll have somethign to work on my school work with....thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2005
  10. ddp

do you have the manual for the motherboard/computer. what is the make & model# of motherboard