1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk boot failure. Insert system disk and press enter

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by m_ceberus, Dec 8, 2004.

1. m_ceberus

m_ceberus Member

I just recently purchased a case from case-mod and after transferring the components I got the "DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" error and both hard drives remains unpowered.
    I have both cd and dvd drives and if I disconnect the IDE cable for both, I am able to boot up without the above error message but when I connect the cd and dvd drives the same error comes up again. I had assigned letters C for the HD, D and E for the cd and dvd before I transferred the components. When the transfer was made I installed a hard drive that was already partitioned into two drives and the computer upon booting up (without the cd and dvd) assigns them as D and E drives. Is there a conflict with the cd and dvd being called D and E and the second hard drive I installed? If so how might I fix this?

2. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

Try this.........

Power down-cut power
    Disconnect cd/dvd drives
    Connect HD with O/S as Master on Pri IDE controller
    boot into Bios and set to default settings
    Reboot into O/S
    Power Down
    Connect second HD as Slave on Pri IDE
    Boot int O/S
    Power down
    connect CD/DVD on Sec IDE(pri/slave)
    Boot into O/S and everything should be fine

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2004
  3. m_ceberus

m_ceberus Member

After I enter setup using delete during bootup, as I am using win98, do I "load fail safe defaults" or " load optimized defaults" or is there somewhere else i should proceed to?

4. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

Load Fail Safe

5. m_ceberus

m_ceberus Member

Well

I went into the setup and loaded fail safe defaults and then followed the rest of the instructions you suggested but to no avail. I wound up with the disk boot failure error again.
    I =>
    powered down
    connected HD with O/S as master (no jumper required for master) on primary IDE controller
    booted into BIOS, loaded failsafe, exited and saved settings which proceeded to reboot after exiting
    powered down
    connected second HD as slave (with the first one still attatched and the correct jumper sttings for both)on primary IDE
    Booted into O/S
    Powered down
    Connected CD/DVD on second IDE (using jumper settings specified on both drives; CD as master and DVD as slave)
    Booted up into Disk Boot Failure.Insert system disk and press enter. I am at a lost now

6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

Disconnect everything.
    Connect HD with O/S and boot to it.
    Does it boot?

What kind of HD is It?

7. m_ceberus

m_ceberus Member

It is a Western Digital WD400 WD cavlar Enhanced IDE HD 40 GB (x2 for both HD's)
    I attempted a second time with the instructions and just noticed that my A: drive has reverted to a 51/4 disk drive instead of 31/4
    Earlier on, my friend and I disconnected everything but the one HD and it was fine, but with the CD/DVD there was the disk boot error.
    I also tried various combinations but all with the same result

8. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

9. m_ceberus

m_ceberus Member

I followed the link and i have the jumper set to pins 5 & 6 for master and 3 & 4 for slave as specified in the diagram (and confirms the diagrams on the HD themselves).
    Upon booting, the both appear in <My Computer> as C for one and D & E (due to partitioning) in the other as long as IDE2 to the CD and DVD are not connected. They run fine without the CD & DVD.
    I am currently using an Ultra Dual IDE Hard drive cable Pro Series 40-Socket/40-Socket/40-Socket internal produced by Belkin (i had to replace the old one because there were some mild abrasions on it that I thought might have attributed to the problem) which is different in appeareance to the normal ribbon.

10. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

What are you using the new cable for -- the cd/dvd?

Try putting one(cd or dvd) device set as secondary master on IDE2.

11. m_ceberus

m_ceberus Member

I found the connection that was the cause of it all. I was disconnecting the IDE2 from the mainboard verses disconnecting the IDE cable from the drives themselves. When I connected only one of the drives there was still the error so I disconnected it all then began to reattatch the cables and noticed that the secondary drive of IDE2 had the cable connection upside down fprobably from earlier on when my friend and I were both trying to fix it. Now everything works fine. Thank you very much for your help and you can be sure that the connections would be triple checked next time. Thanks

12. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

Glad you got it sorted.........