1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk And Press Enter

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mastermjr, Apr 19, 2005.

1. mastermjr

mastermjr Member

Hi

I got a hp dvd-rw, i took out my old dvd drive and replaced with the new one, i boot the pc up and it boots to windows fine, i then turned the pc off from the back of the pc by the switch, 2nd time boot up fine pressed switch to turn off, i did not shut down propaly.
    I took out drive and put wires back in and turned on pc.

i turned pc on, the bios boots about 2 secs and then it says Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter.

What have i done wrong.

Is it beacause of loose cables inside the pc

Please help, i do not want to erase the hard drive if thats ok

2. haimback

haimback Regular member

that error means the hard drive hasnt been recognised try reconnecting the ide cable - you may just have knocked it loose when putting new drive in.
    If this doent work go into the BIOS when you first start computer and see if the drive shows up.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  3. mastermjr

mastermjr Member

The drive does not show up, when i go into to bios and to the drive settings i can click auto detect about 5 times and it will detect and change about 3 times.

sorry but what is a ide cable

4. haimback

haimback Regular member

ide > the ribbon like cable that you use to connect your drives to the motherboard

5. mastermjr

mastermjr Member

i have taken the ribbon out and put back in, the drive works coz it vibrates and it makes a low humming noise. what else can i do, please help.

6. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Lose cables couls be the cause. You say it booted once with no issues after installin the new DVD-RW drive. That tells me that chances are not to high that lose cables is your problem but worth checking anyway.

Then you say it booted fine and you turned off with switch in the back. Did you shutdown properly before turning off by that switch? Your 2nd boot was also fine. What reason did you have to turn it off without proper shutdown then. In XP a few improper shutdowns will not, gerneraly, hurt the system. There are always exceptions.

What drive did you take out? Im guessing the DVD-RW drive. To rule out cables go into BIOS and see if the HD is showing up in there. If the drive is showing there then it should be hooked up correct. Your bot up files may have been damaged. Don't worry it's not the end of the world. Red Stripe on pin one, On hard drive Pin one is next to Power. On Floppy drive Pin one is opposite of power.(I'm sure you already know this) Do this:

-Boot off Windows XP cd.

-When boot is finished hit R for recovery console

-You will now be in a DOS looking place (this is not DOS) (You might be asked to select the install you wish to work on. (Should be optin 1) After that it mat ask you the password, if there is not one then just hit enter). You will now be at a Prompt.

-There are 2 things to try here.
    1)First off you can type "FIXBOOT" then enter. say yes to confirm. After done, Reboot and see if that gets you going.
    2)If not then do all the above steps again and part 2 of this. Type in CHKDSK /R and hit enter. That one should get you going and will take a very long time to finish. Long enough to grab something to eat and have desert.

Good Luck
    -Del

7. haimback

haimback Regular member

when you press auto detect and the drive shows up - is it giving all the correct info e.g. drive name,size etc?

Also when you connected new dvd-rw did you check the back of the drive and make sure it was set to slave?
    Is the new drive also set as slave in the BIOS?

8. mastermjr

mastermjr Member

where do i go when i am in bios to see if the hd is detected, cheers for your help

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You will be better off if you get a friend, who is tech savy, to help you out.

10. mastermjr

mastermjr Member

when i replace the old dvd drive it boots ok, it must be becoz the bios must be thinking the old dvd drive is installed but the new dvd drive was installed and did not realise it.

any suggestions on putting the new drive in so that it works.

11. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

How old is your system? The last thing you said makes sense for an older system. Post MB model if you can. You need to get into the BIOS. In there go into Basic or General setup. Usualy on left side on the top. At the top of this window is sytem time and Drive information just below it. You should have 4 possible drives. Find the one that is for that DVD-ROM. Highlite it and set it to AUTO. Page up and down to change. (this is assuming an older board.)

-Del

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  12. baabaa

baabaa Active member

In order to shut down your pc, you have to use the shut down process and not just turn the power switch off.

This can lead to corrupt data onto the hard drive and maywell be the root cause of your problems...............

However 2 things to look at:
    At the rear of your new drive/old drive you will find a small area containing 6 pins, these pins are used to configure your drive to either Master/Slave or cable select.
    There will be a small jumper there to link 2 pins and assign it to either of the above.

Make sure this jumper is the set for the same as what your old drive is setup for.

I do not know where you have it connected whether it is on the same IDE as your hard drive or on the secondary one, so to be safe make sure it matches your old one.

The other thing check the pins are not bent in the IDE connector on the motherboard and also on the rear of your device you are connecting to it.
    Newer IDE cables have a polarising 'blocked' hole in the connector and often can be forced in causing bent pins etc...............

13. mastermjr

mastermjr Member

Multimedia-Internet-PC with 56k PCI v.90 Data-Fax-Modem

1.8ghz
    40gb hard disk
    512 ram
    Pentium 4

The pc is only about 4-5 years old

14. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Yeah what Baa said. If the DVD is on the same ribon as the HD and both are set to master then you will not boot.

-Del

15. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

LoL :^)

16. mastermjr

mastermjr Member

it works now, on the new dvd writer, at the back the peice of plaster was not set as slave, i i put the plastic bit on slave and the pc boots up and the drive works so cheers for your help and i will come back to you if i need any help in the future.

17. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Youe welcome and nice to hear everything is 'singing' again.

Drop back in anytime should you have any q's or comments.

And [bold]Welcome to Afterdawn[/bold]