1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk Boot Failure when trying to install 2nd HDD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Ph0BoLuS, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Ph0BoLuS

Ph0BoLuS Regular member

Hi, i have a sony PCV-RX741 with that has a second slot so i can add a second hard drive but whenever i connect the jumper cables and power cable to the 40gb Fujitsu MPG3409AT and reboot the computer i get the message "Disk Boot Failure, Insert system disk & press Enter" The reason i'm trying to install this second hard drive is to reformat it so i can put it into my ps2. Is that message popping up because the hard drive is broken or something? Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

your pc look first to the blank drive instead of the original drive so go to the bios and set it as 2nd in the boot sequence

3. steimy

steimy Active member

you are putting the new Fujitsu drive on the second slot of the cable correct?
    And are setting the jumpers on both hard drives correctly?

The drive with your OS (windows) should always be the first drive on the cable, then the next plug would be the second drive, and the last attaches to the motherboard.

You get this message because as stated above, for some reason it is trying to boot from the Fujitsu drive, or you have the jumper settings wrong on the first drive.

Some systems work differently. Some you set the first drive to master and te second to slave, others you can set both to cable select and it will just boot from the first drive on the cable.
    You may have to look at a manual for the hard drive and look at the different jumper settings, also look at your PC's users manul which should tell you how the jumpers should be set.

4. Ph0BoLuS

Ph0BoLuS Regular member

i entered the BIOS screen and i see the Primary Master: Maxtor (the original HDD) and Primary Slave: i changed this to User Type HDD.
    is that what i'm supposed to do? or go to the boot tab and change something in there.

5. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

goto boot sequence and select the hdd with the os as the first drive second the new drive

sample pic,
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  6. Ph0BoLuS

Ph0BoLuS Regular member

mine doesnt look like that at all..heres what mine looks like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  7. Ph0BoLuS

Ph0BoLuS Regular member

anything? i dont want to sound like a d*** but i want this to work soon..

8. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

go to boot and look at options there it will allow you to pick which harddrive to boot from

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try the Fujitsu in place of the maxtor to see what the bios shows for that drive as possible it is jumpered as master & causing both hd's not to be seen. also possible both drives has to be jumpered as cable select & the maxtor placed at the end of the ide cable.

10. gr8jeep

gr8jeep Member

Confusing as it seems , everyone has mentioned jumper but no one explained it , on the rear of each hard drive is a small jumper pin make sure your main hard drive with your operating system on it is set to master , on the second hard drive make sure the jumper is in the slave position then attach them to the ide cable , attach the master to the end of the cable which sometimes has a black end on it and the second hard drive you are trying to reformat which is now your slave to the middle connector on the ide cable which should be gray colored , reboot your machine and all should work now ! goodluck!

11. ddp

master hd does not have to be at end off cable unless jumpered as cable select. doesn't matter if hd's or rom drives

12. gr8jeep

gr8jeep Member

If he is trying to add 2 HD's to the same cable it makes a difference could be why its not finding the HD with the operating system on it , guess they should'nt label the cabels from the factory then when they say master and slave , they must have no clue what they are doing........

13. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

cool thinking but his bios gives him a choice of harddrive to boot from if it doesn't then yes he needs to move jumpers around for the bios to read both drives

14. Ph0BoLuS

Ph0BoLuS Regular member

i checked the back of my Fujitsu hard drive and it doesnt have that small jumper pin to select if i want it to be a slave or not...is that maybe the reason why its causing all these problems?

How much do these jumper pins usually run for?

15. gr8jeep

gr8jeep Member

16. ddp

check with local computer store as they might give you 1 for free as they are worth maybe 1 cent each if that. if you know somebody with a dead motherboard or hd\rom drive, see if they will give you 1 or more jumpers.

17. Ph0BoLuS

Ph0BoLuS Regular member

ok i found a spare jumper pin..put it in the slave slot and got to format it with Winhiip, but which reformat should i do? quick, partial, or full?

Thanks for getting me this far guys i really appreciate it..

18. ddp

do full so can see if any bad spots or not.

19. Ph0BoLuS

Ph0BoLuS Regular member

sweet action..got my fujitsu hard drive fully reformatted, and now im just waiting for HDLoader to show up in the mail..Thanks again guys for all your help.

I'm sure i'll need further help when it does come.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  20. ddp

no problem, teach & learn