1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISK BOOT FAILURE

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Fiends, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Fiends

Fiends Member

Now this is extremely weird, I merely changed hard drives in my computer recently and now I get this error with both drives when I turn my computer on. I checked the few threads based on this previously and none of the solutions worked. The jumpers are fine, CTRL - ALT - DEL restarts the computer which brings it back to the message and it seems the CMOS can't detect the hard drive. Both hard drives worked and I even tried using a brand new hard drive. The thing is, my computer worked fine and I really didn't touch anything besides my hard drives with a static band on. I even bought a brand new hard drive and tried it out and that didn't work either.

Confused, frustrated... What could be wrong? My board detects the DVD drive and it seems to have no other problem besides detecting hard drives. If anybody knows anything I can do, I would be most appreciated by any solution... Thanks.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I bet it detects it, but it's trying to boot from the wrong one.
    Go into your BIOS (usually delete when you get all the info or the big logo at the start) and bring up your 'boot device priority' and put the old hard disk at the top. if you're not sure which is which, try it both ways round.

3. Fiends

Fiends Member

I went into the BIOS and no, it doesn't detect any hard drives.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Have you tried swapping cables round, trying different ports, and using one drive at a time?

5. Fiends

Fiends Member

Yes, I tried one drive at a time. I don't even use more than one hard drive at a time and I still tried one hard drive and no DVD-R. I also bought new cables and tried that, still didn't work.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Are they IDE drives? If so, have the jumpers been set correctly?

7. Fiends

Fiends Member

Yes they are IDE, and yes the jumpers are set correctly. Atleast set to what the hard drive has as the diagram on it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  8. Fiends

Fiends Member

Please help!

9. Fiends

Fiends Member

Would it be better if I started this topic in a more popular section?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No because this is the correct section for it.

11. smeagol75

smeagol75 Guest

Check your HD connections. Is the power cable plugged in good? Is it plugged into the power supply good? How about the ribbon. Is it plugged into the drive good? Is it plugged into the motherboard good? Sounds like something is not connected properly. I would check all of your connections and even possibly unpluging them and reseating them. You said the jumpers are set right. If this is your primary drive, are the jumpers set as the MASTER?

When you start, make sure the BIOS runs with details displayed rather than silent. As it displays, press the PAUSE key to ensure the HD is actually showing up.

Do you have an OS on the drive? Has the drive been worked on at all, such as formatting, partitions, etc..?

Hope it helps, good luck!

12. Fiends

Fiends Member

It just appears that after a few days nobody has responded or tried to to help so far so I thought maybe nobody was seeing this thread.

13. Fiends

Fiends Member

Yes, I have made sure every connection is good and I have reseated them plenty of times. It seems that no hard drive is being detected at all, and I even bought new cable to try that. This drive I THINK has XP on it but the drive won't be detected at all and now no drives are being detected. It is set to master.