1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Display drivers stop working

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Zumba8472, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Zumba8472

Zumba8472 Member

I'm pretty sure many of us have been having this issue. Basically Whenever play a very high performance game (Crysis 2, Shogun 2, Call of Duty MW etc...) not even a few minutes into the game it will freeze up for about 30- 45 secs then resume. After hitting ALT-Tab their is a error that says "ATI DRIVER STOPPED WORKING AND WERE RECOVERED" It's becoming very annoying and really makes me feel as if all the money and time I have spent on my new rig is crap. I will leave my system specs and if someone could guide in the right direction on what to troublshoot I'd appreicate it.

MB= Asus M4A89TD PRO
    CPU= AMD Phenom X6 1090T 3.2GHZ
    CPU Cooler= Ultra ChillTec Black Overclocking CPU Cooler
    GPU= MSI Twin Froz II Radeon 6870 1GB
    HDD= Western Digital Caviar 1 TB
    DVD= Pioneer DVD ROM Drive
    Chasis= Thermaltake Speedo Advance edition
    PSU= Ultra 750 WATT Modular
    RAM= Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHZ (16GB TOTAL)
    OS= Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with SP1 = Brand new install 2 weeks in opration.

PS: All system tempeatures are all well below normal levels (since I have 9 fans on the chasis)

Please let me know what I need to adjust or change.

Thank you all very much

2. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

Possibly it is software, not hardware related. look for official amd drivers on amd.com and update to newest available for you. Maybe you will need to use an older driver though.

Have you overclocked that video card? If you have, use either Auto-tune OC utility in catalyst, or reset to stock.

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your nice PC.
    Good luck

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

This is usually either a bad graphics driver or a faulty card. Update to the latest version of catalyst, and if that doesn't solve your problem I'd probably suggest replacing the card.