1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX 3 or DivX 5.05 encoding?? Which is better?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Powa, May 18, 2003.

1. Powa

Powa Regular member

Hi I've downloaded a few movies and realised that most of them are in Div3 format and the quality is pretty good.

I've tried encoding a few movies in the 5.05 format from DVD and get absolute bad quality even at 1024Kbit bitrate, high definition profile and using vidomi trying to fit it on 2 cds. I don't know whats wrong there.

Should I try divx 3 to get better quality? Somehow that doesn't seem to be logical, a previous codec working better than the newer ones!? Whats wrong with the divX creators?

Or should I go with Xvid? Reign of Fire encoded with Xvid is very good quality! Any tutorials around showing how to encode with that??

2. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

i use divx 5.05 to encode & the quality is excellent, i only set my bit rate to 1000 but this still gives me an excellent result. i am not sure why yours would not have come out very good but i'm guessing the latest divx codec should be the best one to use.

3. Khauron

Khauron Moderator Staff Member

I think Powa has some serious problems with software he is trying to encode with or with DivX codec settings.
    With what method / guide you are using to encode this movie you are getting bad quality? Do you use DivX 5.0.5 with or without PRO? How about codec settings? Have you enabled only B-frames and nothing else? Frameserving?

4. Powa

Powa Regular member

I used this method to encode the Mi2 movie. http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59485

It doesn't work for me at all really. I'm using divX 5.05 with the add support. I know its spyware but nortons is blocking it from accessing the net. And I need it to do some encoding :)

Heres what I had in the divX encoder settings:

-bv1 1024 -psy 2 -key 2 -b -sc 100 -pq 5 -vbv 8000000,6291456,4718592 -profile 4

try copying that into your divX encoder, and it should bring up my settings. Save your own first though! ;)

5. Powa

Powa Regular member

Maybe that dudes method wasn't working too great because I had a NTSC Region 1 dvd. Just noticed it now :\

Is your gordian knot method any better?

6. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

7. Powa

Powa Regular member

Thanks, I will try encoding star wars ep2 tonight :)

8. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

Try this.

Uninstall all DivX codecs. Then search for any files by the name DivX and delete all of them. Then reinstall DivX 5.05. Hope this helps

9. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

Powa, I never had any luck using Vidomi - the output video always resulted in bad stretching, fuzziness, and border problems. You might have better luck, as I did, using DVDx v2.1. Be sure you are using 2 passes to encode your videos for the best result. Encode a small portion to test before committing to the full job. Your first DivX pass should be set to Multipass - 1st pass and your 2nd pass should be set to Multipass - nth pass.
    Cheers.

10. Powa

Powa Regular member

Update:

I used the dvd-> divx guide on this site and is now sweet! I have an awsome quality movie that I burnt onto 2 cds.

Lessons learned:

1) Don't use Beta versions of Cdex. The 1.4 release version is stable enough to make the good quality encoded sound. (1.5 versions stuffed up!)

2) Use a stable version of VDub. Version 1.4.13 (build 14328) worked just fine for me. (1.5 versions stuffed up on me at 100%)

3) Don't have the VOB files on another machine and try and encode the movie using resources from over the network. Chances are some moron will shut the other machine down and you will have a stuffed movie. (Happened at least 3 times until I figured out what was going on).

4) Don't use Vidomi for video encoding. (Gives inferior quality divx)

5) Buy a new hard drive, so you don't stress yourself out by having to delete/move files so it will have room to encode the movie.

6) Don't use the damn GAIN divx bundles. Because the damn thing slowed down my PC and made it freeze up every 5mins (Windows XP)

7) Definitely celebrate once you've made your first good quality DVD rip. Cos damn, this has taken me about 3-4weeks!! First I used vidomi to make a divX of my Mi2 dvd and that turned out crap and I have ended up doing about 10 stuffed encoding sessions.

Cheers :) _X_X_X_X_X_[small]->E§F<-[/small]

Last edited: May 30, 2003
  11. PopWeasel

PopWeasel Member

Powa, I enjoyed reading your "lessons learned," especially #5..lol. That reminded me of something. I have my source vobs on one hard drive and I encode/capture to another hard drive. This helps to speed up the process and helps get rid of bottlenecks so you don't end up with jerky video (the same hard drive isn't so busy trying to both read and write). Thanks for sharing your experiences. Now go strangle that moron that was shutting down your other computer! heh

12. zamsak

zamsak Regular member

Here is a software that I found cool.

Ripitall.

It has got a very easy interface. I recommend it