1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

divx compression

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by adamf9898, Mar 21, 2004.

1. adamf9898

adamf9898 Member

i am wanting to compress a divx movie , i use virtualdub, i am keeping the video codec as divx 5.1.1 , but i am wanting to change the audio, what is the best way to compress this?

i am hoping that it will compress the file to about the size's of TMD quality movies, but if you know what settings TMD uses, please tell me what audio compression to use for vdub

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

the best way to do this is by ignoring the compressor that comes with the original v-dub, compress the audio seperately using your prefered compressing agent and mux it using virtualdubmod. (as the original one doesn't support outside mp3 or ogg or ac3 files).

good luck :p

3. adamf9898

adamf9898 Member

ok thanks for helping, but i am confuzed on what steps i need to do....can you simple it out for me please?

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

ok, fair enough.

have you compress the video ? if you have you can take the video out by, (we call this process demuxing, where we seperate the audio and video), loading it into v-dub, go to vieo drop down menu and select direct stream copy. this will copy the compress video directly without re compressing it. then select the audio menu and choose no audio.

save as avi

then to get the audio, the easiest way is to load the file and save audio as wav

compress the audio to mp3 or whatever (everybody seems to have mp3).

download a modified virtualdub called virtualdubmod
    http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/
    (it will accept outside mp3 or any format, not like v-dub that only accept wav)

load both the video and audio (both on direct stream copy) and save as avi.

and you're done

note that the compressor that comes with v-dub only allow till 56kbps, which is horrible, you can get the plugin from somewhere, but i don't know where.

and its better to use divx audio, i tried it and it sounded horrible. it adds echoes.

you can use virtualdubmod all the way, but the original is more stablem, i think, not that the mod ever crashes on me.

goodluck

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2004
  5. mrpiojo

mrpiojo Guest

CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO TRANSFER A DVD TO DIVX
    OR CAN ANYONE SELL ME AN ALLREADY TO USE PROGRAM
    I LIKE TO HAVE DIVX SINCE I GOT A DVD PLAYER THAT SUPPORTS DIVX MOVIES
    THANX

6. adamf9898

adamf9898 Member

you said to use a divx audio codec, but which ones are the divx audio codecs?

7. adamf9898

adamf9898 Member

ok, thansk for the help but here is a more specific ideal of what im wanting to do:

when i open the video in vdub and look at the file info it reads:

video decompressor = divx 5.1.1 &
    audio compression = Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer 3 Codec
    audio sampling rate = 8000Hz
    audio channel = 2 [stereo]

but... when i open the same video in windows media player and look at the properties it says:

video codec = ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder
    audio codec = Morgan Stream Switcher
    audio rate = 18Kbps

so my question is how do i compress my avi files using the video codec and audio codec mentioned in the windows meida player, and where can i get these codecs from, also this codec mentioned, are they divx codecs?

thanks for the help ;)

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

There are several programs that convert DVD to DiVx. In order to make it playable on DiVx reading home unit you will need the latest DiVx codec. The easyest program I've used is called Vidomi. It's freeware and you can get it here. http://www.vidomi.com/

9. shiroh

shiroh Guest

oh, divx audio, that is in nandub, and a plugin. never mind that. :p

the info in vdub is the compression it uses (the people who encodes it)

the media player readings is what the codecs is used (the ones you download) on your computer.

vidomi is ok, good for newbies, i only used it once. and never touched it again. i like to do things manually. :p

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I only recommended it for a newbie, I used Gordian Knot when DiVx was of interest to me (DiVx is dated) but now I make only DVD back ups. DiVx takes me 90 minutes to compress plus another 12 minutes to rip, but it takes less than 45 minuets from rip to burned result using DVD shrink and the result is far superior. Shiroh if you don't like an application that's ok but your dislikes don't alter its effectiveness and it is effective. Vidomi is not only easy for newbies to learn and use but it has a lot of usefull features such as:

easy to use interface to encode and play XviD Mpeg4 files

Encodes video and audio in one step

Vidomi Enhanced AVIā„¢ allows you to add chapters and subtitles to your encodes

Source range selection to encode only the video you want. Select up to 32 cut points for output as a single file

Create job lists: up to 256 jobs of up to 64 files per job

Variable Bit Rate for optimum quality and file size

YV12 Encoding The fastest possible method of converting MPEG 2 to XviD

Easy file size selection that splits files to fit on CD-Rs and maintain audio synch

Hyper functions automatically eliminate top and bottom black bars, adjust for aspect ratio, and scale video

Advanced, automated post-processing (deinterlace, scale, re-sample)

Improved Integrated player designed specifically for playing XviD files with keyframe and single frame advance and full-screen playback.

11. shiroh

shiroh Guest

Quote:
    "Shiroh if you don't like an application that's ok but your dislikes don't alter its effectiveness and it is effective."

haha, true.

you said, improved player for xvid, does this means it plays better than using the regular mplayer classic ?
    i never knew, a good thing i still got the installer.

i stop using vidomi just because i want to learn what its all about, by doing things the "rough way" you'll get all down and dirty, but you learn what its all about.

12. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Adam,
    The GordianKnot RipPack includes everything necessary to backup a DVD to CDRom-sized (700MB) movie.
    I use SmartRipper 2.41 with stream-processing enabled, DeMux audio to separate file; the Azid function in BeSweet (to convert AC3 5.1 audio to WAV downmixed to L & R, ie. Dolby Surround); CDex to make a nice Q=0 CBR MP3 using LAME 3.95.1 codec. I instruct CDex to add a RIFF WAV header (containing information about the MP3) to the MP3, which renames the file extension to *.wav and allows you to use it with VirtualDub. You then interleave the AVI and WAV files (using the DivX-recommended every 12 frames which is approx. twice/second) and you're done.
    GKnot will offer to process the audio right at the start using DVD2AVI and BeSweet and Azid, but I like to do it myself. I fuss over the audio at great length, whereas the video is relatively painless...
    I just need a new P4EE for those triple-pass rips (yawn).
    I have 100+ films (on a 120GB hard disk) that are served on my LAN. I think I'll get a new HD before I get a DVD burner! Actually I have no urge at all to burn DVDs - why would I?
    I love Afterdawn, and the guides are very informative, but take a look at Doom9.org for the GKnot rippack and some info on becoming proficient with it.