1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx - Dolby digital?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by wesley54, Jun 25, 2007.

1. wesley54

wesley54 Member

I am newbie to all this and i have a dvd player that plays divx files. I am currently just using windows to send the Divx files to my disc and playing them on my dvd player. Is it possible that a divx file could play in dolby digital surround? So far everything i have played is only in stereo - including files that are described as dvd rips.

Many thanks for any help.

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

The DivX media format is basically just an extension of the avi container, as such it should have no problems handling AC3. Fact is that if you are downloading DVDRips, then there is a 99% chance that they aren't DivX files, but rather Xvid avi's. Some (usually 2CD releases) will have 5.1AC3. Some won't. They will have either 2 channel mp3 or AC3 audio.

4. wesley54

wesley54 Member

Cheers. Do I need to do anything to it? Or should the Dolby dig just play if it's there? I've downloaded a xvid from axxo - and it plays on my dvd player but not in dolby digital. Is there a way i can check the file to see what audio it should play in?

Sorry if i am a bit thick.

5. ugc

ugc Regular member

from my understanding (which is limited), you can get AC3 out of a divx/xvid (if so encoded) if you play it from your computer, if you play it on a stand alone player, you get 2 channel(the player converts AC3 to 2 channel) or (you may not hear anything at all). Newer players might be able to handle it, I don't know.
    I ran into this same problem about a year ago, so this info I am telling you is about a year old.