1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx file sizes and compression problems

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by MattRK, Jan 30, 2005.

1. MattRK

MattRK Member

Hello. I recently shot a small movie w/ a dv camera. I captured the footage into Adobe Premiere Pro. I edited it and then *TRIED* to compress it into divx using the export feature of Premiere. I've been told that premiere doesn't handel divx well. So.... I exported the film as a plain windows avi uncompressed. It's a 15 minute video. The uncompressed AVI was 18 gigs. I imported that into virtualdub and choose divx as my compressor. And then used the bitrate calculator in divx pro to calculate the bitrate to 356kbps. The encode performace is set at fastest and i've chosen to only do 1 pass. After setting those options, i went to file and save as AVI and save it. The file it outputs is 190 megs.

My goal is to keep it down to 40 or 50 megs tops. I told the bitrate calc. the file size should be 50. The only thing i can figure out is that the audio is what is messing it up. But i don't know what i should do. The other thing that is messed up is that when i open the 190 meg divx file, in winamp it shows up to be encoded at 1948kbps. My guess is that the audio is the source of the problem. But i don't know for sure. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks again!!!!

-Matt

2. MattRK

MattRK Member

That was my problem. :) I guess the next question would be what what kind of audio compression i should use? I chose mp3 but it only let me go up to 56kbps. I want the audio to be good quality... if possible. :) Thanks!

-Matt

3. shiroh

shiroh Guest