1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX files turning out smaller than they are

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by maggas, Jan 3, 2003.

1. maggas

maggas Member

For a while now my divx files that i make are less than the bitrate i specify. For example if i specify 800kbit/s (100kb/s) and the file is 10 sec long i expect the video file to be 800kb, but it turns out 500kb. I dont know why. For Long movies that i want to turn out 700mb they come out 600mb and checking the properties of the file, the bitrate of the file is less than what i specified, HELP ME

2. maggas

maggas Member

Forgot to mention i use virtual dub, but it should not matter what i use, but i never know

3. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

I don't if I'm right or how much sense it makes but divx uses compression, so I imagine that it recudes the redundant code in the video and might be a little be less than what you thought. a movie file is normall comprised of an audio and video bitrate, but then I think divx compresses it . . . . does that sound right?

4. maggas

maggas Member

Sorry but what you said is a bit silly, as i specified the divx file to be eg. 800kbit/s and it turned out 500kbit/s (thats definatelly a problem there) and its different bitrates with different sized files

5. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

my apologies then, I misread your question or actually when I went to send a response I was interrupted and my response got skewed in my head. sorry. But if i'm not mistaken divx does compress using an algorhythm like winzip and rar, so that might change things. not sure.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2003
  6. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

what codec are you using to encode, and what version ??

7. maggas

maggas Member

Im using divx 5.02, the adware version :(
    (((Dont worry about it Khisanth)))

8. VCDjunkie

9. maggas

maggas Member

Yes its the guide im using. The problem is not getting from dvd to divx but the final divx file made, being too small. Eg using the bitrate calculator it tells me i should have the video at 1200kbit/s to get a 700mb file. But my file becomes more like 500mb at the end.

10. VCDjunkie

if you are following the guide verbatim, you should end up with a Variable Bitrate after 2 passes, not a single CBR.

11. maggas

maggas Member

Yes I do get a variable bit rate but it should average out to the bitrate i specified, like it used to. When u want a file to be 300mb u use the bitrate calculator, it tells u put 1259kbit/s to get a 300mb file for that specific time and audio

12. hallmofo

hallmofo Member

Just a thought - are you choosing the correct value for the AUDIO bitrate in the calculator?

13. maggas

maggas Member

yes, as ive said it worked fine for ages and the last couple of weeks it turns out too small. If i go to the properties of the file the bitrate of the video is less than what i specified eg i specified 800kbit/s (100kb/s) the file says 80kb/s

14. Khisanth

Khisanth Regular member

maybe this is too simple but have you tried uninstalling, rebooting and then reinstalling the software you use for converting and such?

15. maggas

maggas Member

hehehe yes i have 3 times actually :) Do you reckon there is a bug in divx, well if ive reinstalled it, it must be something else

Last edited: Jan 10, 2003
  16. wjd

wjd Guest

I'm having the same problem! Everything was fine up until a day or two ago and I just can't understand it. I'm following exactly the same procedure as before, which always resulted in files at the specified file size (give or takes a MB or 2). I haven't changed any software, though I have installed a new hard drive and faster CPU but they can't be responsible! I managed to create 1 file today which was on target for size but about 6 others aren't. Must be a bug but I can't figure it out.

I'm using DivX Pro 5.02 btw.

Thanks,
    Will

17. bang

bang Member

With single pass the codec tries to give constant quality within the bitrate specification, but CQ can only be achieved through two pass. Use 2-pass if the correct bitrate is important to you. If you are not aware, different parts of the same movie are more difficult to compress. With very low bitrates its simply a matter of hit and miss.

18. wjd

wjd Guest

Like maggas, I am using a 2 pass encoding method and I have had no problems encoding to a specified file size before. My method hasn't changed so more any ideas?

Thanks for the input though.

Will

19. maggas

maggas Member

Finally someone with the same problem, join the club wjd :) Nothing will fix it even reinstallation, if i cant do anything else i might reinstall windows, but what if the problem happens again, i cant keep on reinstalling windows!

20. wjd

wjd Guest

Well I might try and restore my working hard drive image and then see if I can spot the difference but I can't see how anything has changed.

I wondered if it was anything to do with the files generated from the first pass. Perhaps they aren't being written correctly so the second pass isn't working with correct data. I dunno, it's causing me a lot of grief and you seem to be the only other one I've found with this problem!

Will