1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX For Authoring via TMPGenc NO sound????

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by buxton, Mar 7, 2004.

1. buxton

buxton Regular member

Using TMPGenc 2.5 I am trying to seperate Sound and Video from a DivX movie. For some reason on this particular one the sound file will not play back in Media Player or Winamp or anything, so if I author I have a soundless film?

The original DivX is MP3@113Kbps and I am trying to make it MP2@160Kbps. This has worked on the last three I have done.

I also have an issue were the length of the film comes up incorrect in TMPG so I have to use source range or it is too big for the blank DVD.This gives me a problem when using AVI2VCD it rips the DivX but the audio ends about half way through, so when grab the audio from that with TMPG half the soundtrack is missing!

I am out of ideas as to how to solve this one, any ideas as to were i go from here?

Cheers.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]I don't know what I am doing.[/small]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  2. buxton

buxton Regular member

This is doing my nut. I have sound in DivX and yet none after it has seperated the files? Even though using the exact same settings works on most DivX files.

I tried ripping to MP2 and PCM same thing.

3. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

[bold]This gives me a problem when using AVI2VCD it rips the DivX but the audio ends about half way through, so when grab the audio from that with TMPG half the soundtrack is missing![/bold]

so ur saying avi2vcd's decompressor is only doing half of your whole soundtrack, well im sorry to say this (idont know how) but urve done something wrong using the decompressor, try it again, if problems pesist well there are millions of other programs that do the exact same thing (virtualdub for 1), it would be worth trying a few other decompressor's just to find out if its a problem with 1 (or more) decompressor/s or a problem with ur divx file, i hate to say this but u could be looking at a problem with ur divx file (hope you prove me wrong though)
    cheers

4. buxton

buxton Regular member

No you are right, it is an issue with the DivX file. For some reason the length of the film is being misinterpreted! When I drop it into TPMG it shows as 333mins or something foolish like that, now in TMPG I can sort it by doing the start and finish frame in source range. But I get no sound as it appears that TMPG can't decode the MP3!? This same issue makes the AVI2VCD only rip half the soundtrack.

The only way I have managed to do it is to use Canopus Procoder, as that seems to be able to sort it. All I need do now is put the audio through TMPG to make it smaller and the author.

Only thing is for some reason when I rip it with Canopus there is a very slight pause every second or so, it's diffficult to notice until the camera pans left or right. So I am loath to use it. Dunno if this is a common issue with that software, there isn't much in the way of settings, and it's very slow, it took four hours, TMPG did it in half the time.

5. buxton

buxton Regular member

I have messed abou with the setting s in TMPG and the slight pause on playback is still there. I checked the original DivX and it is fine?! I tried VBR 2 Pass and motion search precision to normal (This is all guess work I don't have much of a clue). It's only noticable in scenes were the camera moves left/right there is very slight jerk or pause, it's really annoying. More so because I have done several, that play fine when burned to DVD, in my DVD player?!

Any ideas what it might be that is causing it. As I sais before in Procoder the exact same issue happens.

6. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

you could try using a little prog called 'divfix' which might fix the length issue, check 4 errors then rebuild idex, you'll know what im talking bout when you d/l the prog(google search i cant remember the site) then run the new file created by divfix thru avi2vcds decompressor to convert the audio to wav and see if you have the same problem

as for your jerkiness issue, the only conclusion i can come to is that you've not set the right system that your divx source uses, is your source pal=25fps, ntsc=29.97fps or ntsc film=23.976fps?, tmpge doesnt(and other encoders i think) do a proper framerate conversion, meaning if your source is pal and you set it to ntsc(and vice versa) the end result will be jerky because the encoder believes ur source is the system youve set it to and will convert not giving a 2nd thought to what your original sources system is, so it goes on producing an mpeg using that systems settings, so it can be played on the desired tv(computer doesnt matter they play all systems no probs)

you might wanna try putting the quality up on tmpge to (high quality) not highest quality as the differance in quality is debatable and also it takes half the time, and also i'd stick with a constant bitrate(cbr) not viriable bitrate(vbr) this may also be the cause of ur grief with the file

hope this helps
    cheers m8
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Young man......Young man......You Just Got Knocked the Fucked Out[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2004
  7. buxton

buxton Regular member

You are a star my friend.

I didn't realise that 23Fps was NTSC!!!! DOH!!!!

I just figured it was closest to PAL and therefor was PAL. That's what the very slight jerk will be - dammit I should have realised. Going from 23Fps to PAL 25Fps. I had already made that mistake the first time I used it going from 29NTSC to PAL and the picture is all over the place, so I didn't think it was that.

Not heard of NTSC Film either.

OH I am going to be buzzing if that sorts it. It will also explain why TMPG and Procoder both did the same thing.

Just for kicks I did 720*576 VBR 2PASS at the highest setting and went to work. Still hasn't finished "LOL" it's gonna be about 10 hours all in. Not doing this again.

8. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

=)

yeah all ntsc dvd's and vhs's use the ntsc-film framerate, only camcorders and tv use normal ntsc thats why most cinema rips are standard ntsc(29.97) because the checky bastards film them on a normal camcorder =p (theres probably pal cinema rips out there but i havent seen any)

well im glad we got that sorted

yeah vbr takes a hell of a long time to encode, but the quality should be damn near lossless (it should look nearly as good as the original file) so thats a big plus

give me a bell if you come across any more troubles
    cheers m8
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Young man......Young man......You Just Got Knocked the Fucked Out[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2004
  9. buxton

buxton Regular member

Cheers - Your a star. Film is done and burned, watching it as I type, no pause : ) I had to use Procoder to rip it, and then TMPG to redo the sound to MP2. Time consuming but it has worked.

May as well ask, why exactly can't TMPG decode some DivX Audio (MP3) and yet others are OK (MP3). Does DivX use different MP3 encoding??? Maybe depending on the version. If it can't decode certain types then what is a good way to find out what is used in the DivX, right click/properties just says MP3 - and thats it.

10. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

just out of curiosity was the audio in the divx VBR ? gspot should be able to tell you this.

11. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

=D good shit m8 good shit

yeah fixit is on the money, i assumed your source used vbr(variable bitrate mp3) seeing most divx/xvid use it, this is the format of mp3 tmpge has trouble with, i guess because tmpges filters arent as advanced as some of the other encoders out there(thats why i was telling you to convert to wav), but really that doesnt bother me, once you know the few nooks and cranys so to speak about tmpge you relieze how much better quality tmpge is compared to other encoders (some that cost a bit of mulla as well)

yeah fixit is on the money again, theres a program out there called 'g-spot codec information'(google search it) this will tell you everything you need to know about your file from audio compression to framerate, aspect ratio, video compression and the list goes on, its a really handy tool to have, i use it all the time

anywayz m8 glad to hear you got it sorted
    have a good 1 buddy

12. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

There's an easy fix though, decompressing the audio stream to pcm format with virtualdub works fine, then the file can be loaded into tmpgenc without a problem.

13. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

your right, but vitualdub is a fiddly P.O.S if you dont know what your doing

thats why i suggested avi2vcds decompressor, even a drunk arab drumiderie, can manage with it, its simple yet one of the best going round, spew it comes with a shite house encoder like avi2vcd but hey beggers cant be choosers

and thats all she wrote folks thank ya mother for the rabbits (good old rex hunt)

14. buxton

buxton Regular member

I will keep asking as you know your shit.

Had another pain in the ass DivX. Ripped the video fine in TMPG....no go on the sound.....AGAIN!

So I saved as a .WAV using Virtual Dub, then loaded that into TMPG to compress to MP2, when I do it crashes TMPG. Pain. Checked the properties and it is .WAV extension with a format ACM Codec not installed "Unknown 8192"?? Searched on ACM and it came up with Ogg Vorbis, so I got that codec, but it still crashes TMPG, so I assume TMPG doesn't automatically use whatever codec is installed. So now how do I convert this file so TMPG can convert it and keep it in sync?

15. buxton

buxton Regular member

I managed to convert it to .wav using Virtual Dub amd BeSweet, as I feared all this converting has given it a delay on the sound!!!!

TMPG seems to have major issues with sound, 9 out of 10 I am doing it can't decode the sound, are there any plugins to sort all this???

16. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

The missing codec could also be AC3 do you have an ac3 filter installed, if the audio is AC3 then virtualdubmod can decompress it better than virtualdub if the filter is installed, as for tmpgenc, i dont know of any plugins that handle audio for it. quick guide on how to do this here hang on cocked up the guide missed a bit out will repost link shortly

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]http://www.fixitsguide.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk[/small]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2004
  17. buxton

buxton Regular member

I have AC3 filter installed. Also got VirtualDubMod installed, couldn't see any way to extract sound. Seems the simplest way round sound issues is to use Procoder, it's slower but can seem to handle all audio types. Just leave it on overnight.

TMPG is way better, it's faster and there is more options available, but the lack of sound decoding lets it down a bit.

It's great though when it worlks, just ripped, authored and burned one to DVD in 2 hours, shame I can't do them all like that.

18. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

19. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

No No NO!! i dont agree with you on this 1 fixit

you dont have to decompress ac3 audio to get it to work in tmpge

there is a plug in (of sorts), this program is called ac-3 acm decompressor which will allow you to encode avi's with ac3 audio straight from tmpge (no conversion to wav 4 audio is needed), this little beauty is well worth the download seeing its the only program(and i do mean the only) that will allow tmpge to encode ac3.

heres the link:
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/AC3ACM/
    just download install and now tmpge can encode ac3 without converting it to wav first
    cheers m8

20. buxton

buxton Regular member

That's a great plug in - Cheers.

I sorted the crashing issue, it is bizzare, as long as I did the sound on it's own it was fine, as was the video, when I did them at the same time it crashed! I guess it was another poor or corrupted DivX? Who knows.

I have started to do the sound seperate and first as a matter of practice, I don't know if it just me, but it takes like 5-6 mins to do the sound, then when I do the video it takes 45-55 mins. It usually takes longer than both those times added together if I do Vid and Sound at the same time. Plus I can check the sound first to make sure it has worked.