1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX For Authoring via TMPGenc NO sound????

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by buxton, Mar 7, 2004.

1. NAC_what

NAC_what Member

Buxton I'm having the same problem with no sound when I burn to DVD-R. I used TMPG to convert from AVI to Mpeg, the sound and the video at the same time. I have the same problem with the program, it thinks the movie is like 394 minutes long but really its only 79 minutes?? And the sound doesn't work at all, though the video looks really nice. Did encoding the sound and video seperately fix the time problem too and how do I encode the sound and video serperately?

2. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

good crap m8

as for the crashing issue, you havent got any god awful codec packs like 'nimo' have you??? cause it sounds to me you have a codec conflict

nac_what

if you took the time to read thru the whole post you will find the answer(convert audio to wav-or if ac3 audio install the plug in with is linked on 1 of my posts)

and also as for tmpge reading ur file incorrectly, go to source range and set ur start frame and end frame(meaning you tell tmpge exactly what to encode-the 79minutes not the 300odd minutes thats showing up)

but in saying that its probably the audio which is confusing tmpge so convert to wav first then c how you go, if the over calculation problem pesists theres always source range

cheers

3. NAC_what

NAC_what Member

Mick
    Thanks for the help, and pardon me for maybe sounding like an idiot here but how do I convert the audio to WAV from my original AVI file?

4. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

nah relax m8, i dont think your question is idiotic at all

the best program ive found that no1 has troubles with comes with a programs called avi2vcd(dont use it to create vcds cause its very shit 4 that) but it comes with 1 of the best audio decompressors out

so download the program, and its bundled with decompressor.exe, thats what you want, just load the new file it creates into tmpge and thats it m8

heres the link:
    http://encoderx.co.uk/info/avi2vcd.html

cheers buddy
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Young man......Young man......You Just Got Knocked the Fucked Out[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2004
  5. buxton

buxton Regular member

Nah, I never use Nemo anymore it causes more issues than it sorts, I think it was just a dodgy DivX file, sorted it anyway.

NAC_What

OK - I have kinda got this sorted now, so here is what I do..this may not be the best way, but it is easy, fast and so far has worked everytime....

To rip sound use VirtualDub, it's very easy, and fast, should rip the audio on an average film in about 60secs.

All you do is "File" "Open Video File" (Sometimes a box comes up with a warning, just OK that) then do "File" "Save WAV" and give it a name, make it so you don't get it mixed up with other files eg Film_wav.

All you gotta do then is when you load the DivX or Xvid into TMPG replace the audio it auto generates with the one you just made, and bingo, that has worked everytime for me.

When you do the ES Video and Audio just do Audio on it's own, let it decode 60 secs or so stop it and load it into Winamp or media player to make sure it is working.

As far as the movie running time being wrong, as Mick_69 says just do "Source Range" then do goto start frame - set start frame and then goto end frame - set end frame.

Now I have had one DivX that actually crashed when i did that, so you can get a program called Gspot Codec Info Utility. Load your DivX into that, aside from lots of useful info it has the running time with the ammount of frames, you can just type the number into the end frame on source range in TMPG.
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]I don't know what I am doing.[/small]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2004
  6. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

ahhh you learn very fast young grasshopper

by the way, in tmpge it really doesnt matter what stream type you set it too, system audio+video will create a combined video+mp2 audio file, wheres es audio+video will create a separate wav file and separate video

either way you have to use dvd authoring software

but if you want to create a vcd/svcd you must select system audio+video for something like nero to recognise it

cheers guys
    Edit:. and of course yes, use virtual dub if you feel more comfortable with it, i only suggested avi2vcds decompressor because its a no brainer =)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Young man......Young man......You Just Got Knocked the Fucked Out[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2004
  7. buxton

buxton Regular member

I didn't realise you could Author without having it as seperate streams. Is it faster doing it that way?

I have tried TMPG before, trying to make VCD's and I simply couldn't seem to make it work. Picked it up a lot better this time.

With your expert guidence of course

8. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

well im not really sure if its faster(try it and see), but i know a dvd can be achieved with both ESaudio+video or system audio+video, but as ive said vcds/svcds must use system

i feel your pain, its an absolute cunt when 1 tiny little fiddly option like that stands in the way of getting the conversion right, its enough to make you punch your monitor (ahh i miss my old 21" LOL)

well i dont know about expert, im still learning new things and as yet ive still not made a single dvd-r(main reason being i dont have a dvd-burner ;) or even a dvd-rom for that matter) but thats why i like tmpge its the same principle no matter what format you choose

anywayz m8y cheers

9. buxton

buxton Regular member

I have done 11 DVD-R so far. 11 working ones :)

This was why I got a Burner, to get all my DivX on DVD, save space on the Hard Disk, plus I found that although DivX - Xvid is top quality I can't be assed watching them on the PC and TV out is to much hassle. And it's cheaper to get a burner and DVD's than it is to get a KISS DVD player.

Plus the quality on the TV from a DVD is miles better, some of the ones I have done looked OK on the PC and as good as an original DVD on the TV.

10. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

yeah ive noticed that with the vcds and svcds that ive created, the picture quality comes out brighter and much much more detailed than watching them on the pc and sometimes you even get jerky moments on the pc(even if i play the original source with something like divx player)

i think its because pcs can play all the systems(pal, ntsc/film and secam) that they just cant play them all properly, because i have my monitor cranked to 85hz wheres my tv is only capable of 50-60hz, so i think thats the problem, there could be other reasons, anywayz doesnt bother me, the only reason i learnt how to encode properly so i could watch vcds/svcds on my tv anyways

11. NAC_what

NAC_what Member

Buxton and Mick,
    Thanks very much to both of you guys, I've burned a few DVD's using Micks method with that simple decompressor and the source range trick and it works great.
    Thanks again for your help.

12. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

no probs m8y
    glad i could help

13. Sannas

Sannas Member

As a kinda of continuance of this thread. I have been having probs with TMPGE and my sound converting a divx file, I dont seem to be getting any sound at all although I am getting an MP2 generated which is large enough to be carrying the sound for the film its just silent.

I downloaded G-spot as recomended earlier in this thread and this was what it said about the origional divx sound portion "0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3 : Bitrate=143 kb/s (71/ch, stereo) VBR : Fs=48000 Hz

I have the AC3 codec installed that was also mentioned earlier although I dont think that will help.

I have followed all the instructions in the guide for divx - dvd-r without faltering several times.

Do you suggest doing this the sameway as set out earlier or is there something Im missing? The film length appears OK.

Additionally I have tried using TMPGE to convert it to just a Video+audio mpg file and that has given me the same result no sound.

14. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

as g-spot states, ur audio is mp3 not ac-3, so u must convert the audio to wav first so that tmpgenc can recognise it. there are many programs that can do this, but i would suggest using a program that is bundled with avi2vcd called decompressor.exe, download the whole avi2vcd package and you'll c that decompressor.exe comes with it, thats all you want from avi2vcd(dont use avi2vcd to convert ur files because the output is very very shite), just load the new file decompressor creates into tmpgenc, decompressor will create a whole new file video included with the audio decompressed to wav so u dont have to worry about sync issues.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~avi2vcd/dtel4/avi2vcd_ver1_4_2.zip

cheerz

15. Sannas

Sannas Member

Thanks Mick69 I have given that a go started TMPGE off and stopped shortly after and now my MP2 has got sound "At last... phewww"