1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx freezing

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by k2009578, Jan 7, 2010.

1. k2009578

k2009578 Member

Hi

I'm in need of help & a newbie so apologies if I am being stupid but...
    I am having an issue with avi files freezing all the time, they are freezing on my laptop, PC & my DVD player.

THe DVD player runs Divx & has a usb port on the front. So I download the shows I wanna watch, stick them on my USB pen drive then watch them on my DVD player. I've done this for about a year with no probs however for about a month my shows are freezing on the DVD player. So I went to watch the original file on my laptop with Divx player & got the same thing, so tried it on my PC again with Divx player & same.

Now I don't believe it's a faulty avi file as it's happening on most of my shows I download most importantly they all work fine thru Windows media player.

I am running Win 7 on both my laptop & PC & using the latest Divx player for windows 7.

It just seems strange & makes me thing:
    1. That it cant be the avi file as it works in Windows Media Player & freezes in diferent places all the time. Also I only download avi files with excellent feedback.

2. It cant be Windows 7 coz it's effecting my DVD player too?

Pls help

2. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

Are you having playback issues when playing from USB stick only, or playing file(s) from PC's HDD and lappy also?..Try a different SW player like, VLC or Media player Classic..
    As far as not playing properly on standalone DVD player(which seems to suport AVI/DivX/Xvid),compare the files that work to those that don't work.Use MediaInfo or Gspot to ID the specs of each one..

3. seagrave

seagrave Regular member

You're throwing in too many variables...

versions of Windows (now Win7, what was before?)

containers (avi vs divx),

flavors of mpeg4... avi containers could be encodes of XVID, DIVX etc

players... both software and hardware.

new downloads vs old downloads.

sources of downloads... it's not that YOU are encoding files. You don't know just how anyone is encoding.

My question would be... are OLD downloaded files that played well last year now causing problems?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010