1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIVX movies are stretched on my widescreen TV with phillips DVR 642

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by zurie, Dec 16, 2004.

1. zurie

zurie Member

when i play a normal Divx on my phillips the video file seems to be stretched hoorizontally to fit the widescreen TV (similar to what a 4:3 letterbox would look like stretched to 16:9). The divx file does not fit nearly enough vertically, so i end up with a extremely wide and stretched movie.

I wish there was a way to get the divx movies to look correctly on my TV while retaining the best quality.

Is there any way to make this happen? would i have to use Virtual Dub and resize my divx movies so that they are taller, and then let my widescreen TV stretch them for me?

obviously the zoom feature doesn't work cause that just zooms the stretched picture x 2...

what would work is to view it 4:3 (so it has letterbox bars, and then just zoom that x 2 so it fills the whole TV, but i dont know if this will work via progressive and also zooming anything will lose quality...

if i play the divx files on my computer unmodified they work great, and i can play them on my xbox media center on a 4:3 TV and it also plays great.. its just when i try and play em widescreen that they have the stretched problem.. is there a filter or preset for virtual dub that automatically corrects this so that they work on widescreens? any help or insight into any of these issues would be great! ;) thanks

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

since i don't have a widescreen tv, i don't have much experience.

check your dvd player find the setup menu. and look for video display. there will be letterbox, pan and scan, and widescreen options. but that is for 4:3 tv letterbox. i'm not sure if it will make the black mattes on the side or not.

also check your tv setup too.

what you're looking for is to get black c\bars on the side.

3. zurie

zurie Member

ok... let me explain a little bit better for people without widescreen TV's..

i hook the DVR 642 up to the widescreen TV via component cables so it comes in progressive.

when you run a progressive feed on my TV it no longer lets you manipulate the picture size.. its just a constant 480p feed. The phillips fits the screen no matter what format i put it on (16:9 4:3PS 4:3LB) regardless of those settings its still 16:9 stretched. Those settings seem to only have an affect when running it non progressive mode (4:3). But the picture quality is awful on interlaced vs progressive scan. I went ahead and resized the divx movie twice the height of the original, and it streched it out (OK) and played, but the picture was in no way perfectly sized... does anyone know of a size to resize divx or is there another way that i can get the movies to play full screen 16:9.

4. chahal4

chahal4 Member

cant help you out on that seeing as i havent gotten mine yet (comin xmas), but a quick question. It plays DivX, does it play Xvid fine too? any problems or codecs i shud watch out for when downloadin? What about AC3?

I'll try the vids on my widescreen on the 25th.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  5. WesleyHes

WesleyHes Member

zurie, I too have a wide-screen HDTV that locks into FULL mode with a progressive signal. I can only change the aspect ratio/zoom of interlaced input signals.

For my DivX/XviD encodes from DVD, I use FairUse Wizard. It has an anamorphic setting. With it enabled, the encodes are produced anamorphically, just like they are stored on the DVD (look stretched up and down, people look thin, etc.). So, when they are played on my HDTV, they appear correct just like their anamorphic DVD counterparts.

Unfortunately, this feature can not be 'applied' to non-anamorphic material.