1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

divx movies dload to standalone player

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by mytchm, Mar 23, 2005.

1. mytchm

mytchm Member

Hi
    I am a newbie here and want to know the best method to take a divx movie and watch it on a stand alone player. I own several DVD players none of which p[lay divx or recognize a DVD ram disk. I am considering a phillips DVDR642 player. my questions...

1. Is it better to convert Divx movie to DVD? seems to me there is a quality loss particularly if you go to a 4.7GB DVD.

2.Is there such a thing a cheap dual layer DVD media?

3. If I keep the movie as DIVX do you convert it to a DIVXDVD disk somehow or just load it onto a DVD or CD disk?

4. What if you want to put several Divx movies on one dvd?

5. Can you put menus on it?

6. Will Divx players dissappear leaving me with disks I can only play on computer?

Thank you in advance for any answers to any of these questions

Mytch

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The answer is: garbage IN = garbege OUT. You cannot encrease the quality of a movie, you can only worsen it or keeping it equal. Therefore, using VCDs to view 700 MB AVI movies (or putting 6 VCD movies on a DVD) if the best thing, rather converting a 700 MB AVI into a 4.5 GB VOB.

Menus, may movies...this is authoring stuff. Use a good authorning application (my suggestion is DVDLab) and study some guides about that in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/ .

DivX player have the same probability to disappar than normal DVD players have...

3. shiroh

shiroh Guest

well i bought a cheap dvd player.
    usually on the old player, playing svcd which is 480x480 looks great as a full res dvd.

but the new one resize software stinks. you can see jaggies and other crap.
    maybe i should check its setup more.

why i'm posting this ?
    i don't know

4. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

if your standalone dvdplayer can playback divx avi's then you dont need to convert to dvd ;)
    yep, there probably is cheap dual layer dvdz out there, but you wouldnt catch me buying any ;)...you get what you pay for when it comes to dvd media.
    all you do is burn the avi to cd/dvd as a 'data disc', no conversion of anything required.
    put as many avis as the dvd can hold. if all the avis you want to put on disc average around 700mb, then you should be able to fit at least 6 on a 4.7gb dvd-+r.
    no, but the dvd player should have an in built navigation menu if you have mutiple movies on the one disc.
    no, well not in the near future anyway. because dvd players that support divx/xvid is still a new concept it'll take the other companies a while to catch on(same thing happened with vcd/svcd compatible dvd players). heres a list of dvd players that already support the divx standard:. http://www.divx.com/hardware/certified/products.php

lol..you a bit bored there shiroh :p

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

my bet it will die once next generation media gets popular and cheap.
    and next generation codec that might be use, wmv9 or h264.... ?
    the chinese developer eyeing for vp7 ?

6. mytchm

mytchm Member

First thanks to all you answered my post.

1.The big reason I was asking about menus for Divx is that it appeals to my sense of order to have a nice clean good looking menu for my disks. Using the built in menu while functional just doesn't turn my crank as much.
    2. As for divx dissappearing...I ask because there are so few players out there and I would hate to invest in a divx player and burn a lot of disks only to have to convert them to something else in a years time...I love the quality of the divx movies I have seen and would like to see it continue.
    3. Someone was telling me that there are starting to be a lot of portable players being put on the market which are divx compatable...if this is true maybe the format is here to stay

Its to bad someone hasn't com up with a DVD like menu system for divx disk.

Mytch

7. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

welcome m8

it would be quite difficult to implement a menu system for a divx disc because your burning the files as a raw data disc i.e non-structured disc(unlike dvd, or vcd/svcd for that matter)but i imagine someone will eventually devise a working method to have interactive menus on divx discs somewhere down the line.

heres hoping anyway ;)

8. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i take my word back about the remark of my new player. its my fault, its default is PAL, i only need to switch to NTSC.

and another feature of the player, is playback mpeg1/2 without authoring it into vcd/svcd/dvd. just burn it into a data file.

i did an encode when i should be actually sleeping, and mistakenly resize the video to 448x448, and missed out the borders for a legal res of 480x480.
    pop it in. it played perfectly. pretty robust huh.

the real bad thing is. it won't recognize aspect ratio tag properly. the ones that i encode of course. it will ignore the 16:9 tag and play it as 4:3

another thing is that for svcd it doesn't like bitrate spike. usually my older player can go up to 6000bps. the new will only play properly at a max 4000bps, which is bad for high detail scenes. i guess i need a dvd burner.

and if you need to know the player only cost about +-USD35 (after currency convertion)

as for the format life expectancy, it won't die anytime soon, but as i know of xvid development is a little slow than it use to be.

did you heard about nero recruiting x264 devs ? my bad.

divx, well the name won't die, but the codec will evolve.

9. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

for $35 you cant really complain ;)

agree 100% on that 1....once divx is proven to be a better codec than xvid in general...then and only then will we see the demise of xvid.