1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx or X-vid to DVD

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by sbyrn4, Apr 15, 2003.

1. sbyrn4

sbyrn4 Member

Can anyone help? I've searched the forums for an hour and a half and I can't find the answer I'm looking for!! All I need to know is how to convert my downloaded Divx or X-vid files to a DVDR so I can play them on my standalone. I'm sure it's quite simple but I can't find the info :-(
    Maybe DELA can help again?
    I'm slowly going mad.....

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

The easiest way is ulead dvd workshop but not the best way. However I would recommend (s)vcd because the quality of divx/xvid will not improve when you encode it anyway so you might aswell hold onto your dvd-r!

3. sbyrn4

sbyrn4 Member

Thanks Dela, I thought you'd be able to help, sadly my standalone won't play SVCD so I'll try Ulead DVD as you say.
    Thank's :)

4. Dela

Will your stand-alone play vcd?? because if it does you can try a vcd header trick to play svcd!

5. sbyrn4

sbyrn4 Member

Yes, I just did a firmware hack so it will play VCD 2.0, can you tell me how to do the header trick?
    :)

6. Dela

TMPGEnc.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/tmpgenc.cfm

click file - mpeg tools. It should be on the simple multiplex tab! click the browse for the video source and add in the svcd mpg file. That should load in the audio source for you too! then make sure the output filename is different from the input!! then Change video from MPEG-2 to MPEG-1 VideoCD (non standard). Then click run

When its finished, get nero and start a new vcd compilation. Click file - compilation info and unselect, create standard compliant cd! Then click OK and drag the new file from the file browser to the vcd compilation, let it check it and then when its done, click file - write cd!

That may now work in your dvd player and there is no quality loss!

7. Ranoch

Ranoch Guest

If you have a copy of Easy CD/DVD Creator 6 then you can convert your Dvix to DVD format at the click of a button. Open DVD Compiler, search your hard drive for your downloaded film, drag it over to the empty space, click OK, Now your Divx will convert to DVD format with a choice of menus. You have a choice to burn staright to DVD or to your hard drive.

PS, make sure you have latest codecs installed.

8. Dela

Ye but whats the encoding like in that program, does it maintain quality like the best encoders or does it do mad things on occasion like flip it vertically or something??

9. oztony

oztony Guest

Hi all cd 6 converts divx but what about xvid anyone tried? I have down loaded a program called winmpg that also claims to convert divx to dvd hows the quality of that program????

Cheers Tony

10. sbyrn4

sbyrn4 Member

Thanks Dela, I used TMPGenc and it seems fine:)
    I also used cd/dvd 6 and to encode a 2 hour movie onto a DVD the program say's you need an 8 GIG disk????
    I think I'll stick with TMPGenc!
    In answer to Tony, I tried winmpeg too and had loads of trouble with it.

11. oztony

oztony Guest

Anyone try this one looks all to easy
    New Feature in ver 2.21
    1. Support DivX avi format
    2. Support XviD avi format
    3. Support MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4 avi format
    4. Support MPEG layer1, layer2, layer3 audio format

Cucusoft Convert AVI to VCD/DVD feature
    1. Convert avi to VCD format
    2. Convert avi to DVD format
    3. Convert avi to SVCD format

http://www.avi-vcd.com/

Cheers Tony

12. Dela

TMPGEnc can do that too!

13. Jopler

Jopler Member

I am trying to use TMPGEnc to create a DVDr from a divx. I am new to this program. I keep getting a message that the movie is 300+ min and that it cannot create a file longer than 180min. I know the movie is less than 180min.

Secondly, once I have that file how do I get it onto DVD.

What I am mainly trying to do is put my Divx movies onto DVD+R/RW. Plain and simple I dont want to put a single video on more than one VCD/SVCD

14. Dela

Well i am not sure about actually putting it on a dvd but, to sort out the 180min problem, click setting and click the advanced tab. Select Source Range and then double click source range! Click "move to start frame" and click "set start frame", click "move to end frame" and click "set end frame". That should sort out the problem!

15. Jopler

Jopler Member

Thank you very much, this form has been a very big help. I have most of this figured out now, except one thing. (I am using Ifoedit to create the DVD files and Nero to burn them - works great)

Using TMPGEnc I am using it to create ES sound with video and audio seperate. When I open the avi file with is Divx using TMPG it uses the same file for sound but cannot find any sound. By that I mean, in the source range screen it displays a solid flat line for the audio and it creates a mpa sound file that has no sound.
    How can I get TMPGEnc to find the sound?

There must be one more thing I am doing wrong, I would love any help and a way to resolve this.

Thank you!!!!!

16. Dela

You need virtualdub

1. open the avi in virtualdub
    2. click video - direct stream copy
    3. click audio - full processing mode. click audio - compression and select no compression pcm and click ok.
    4. click file - save avi
    5. use the avi you saved with TMPGEnc

17. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I've set out to try AVI to DVD (mp2)
    Here's how far I've got ...

Opened TMPGEnc > DVD PAL (just that) > Video File_Behind Enemy Lines.avi > Audio File_I Left this (had no audio to give it)...left everything else alone > Souce Range_Tick_Move to start frame & Set frame...Move to end frame & set end frame...OK
    Other Settings_I think all I changed in here was FULL SCREEN_kept it at full screen
    Next screen_I changed 99.99% disc capacity to 99.0% (4.10Gb)...i left everything alse i think although i would have checked what drop down options were.
    OUTPUT FILE_D:\Behind Enemy Lines.[m2v+wav]...start encoding immeadiately.

I checked the box HIGHEST QUALITY somewhere in the process too (cant remember at which moment)

17hrs 30mins later I have a
    Behind Enemy Lines - Wave Sound 1,163,791
    Behind Enemy Lines - M2V File 3,061,011

What do I do with these to make ready for a DVD-R ?

I've not done this before so back to a n00b in a way...have I got to demuxremux the thing together to make a mp2 DVD compliant file ready for Nero [or other] ??

I read thru some of your posts to get myself in that position [bold]Dela [/bold] : )
    Could you please help me have some conclusion to this.

herb

18. malum

malum Regular member

You need to remux it, not entirely sure if IFOedit takes wav files you might need to convert it to a DVD compliant mpa file (Use Besweet)
    open IFOedit click DVD author button at top

point it at video and audio files give it a destination folder and click go.
    When done do a get VTS sectors on one of the IFOs.

This will produce a DVD with no chapter points and no menu.

DVD Architect (Sonicy Foundry) will take the AVI file and turn it into a DVD in one step inclucing menu and chapters if you want them.

On the downside it is expensive, on the plus side it is a wonderful tool to work with

19. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Cheers for answer [bold]malum [/bold] ...and also well held onto your patience whilst explaing NTSC & PAL (DVD or TV) differences to others in that thread : )

Some ppl just will not be told

20. HAWK99GT

HAWK99GT Guest

I too have followed the intructions to the letter from this site I'm providing:http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/shownotes/story/0,24330,3413413,00.html
    And it worked up to IfoEdit95. When the combining of the video and audio to .vob files (that worked fine)the video is out of sync, infact its burning rubber during the video play. I too would like and answer to this.
    I had an earlier experience with letting TMPEG control the Video bitrate at 99.99% but that made the .vob files that were created with IfoEdit too large for one disk, but it did play normal on my HDD.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2003