1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

divx playback glitches

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by 9ballninj, Jun 15, 2003.

1. 9ballninj

9ballninj Member

I seem to be having a problem when playing my self-made divx movies. During medium-to-high motion, and particularly with horizontal camera movement, horizontal glitch lines appear of various lengths and position within the picture. This doesnt happen if I pump the bitrate way up to like 2000kbps, but if I put even a 85min movie on only 1 disc, it usually happens noticeably. This does not happen with my downloaded movies. I use divx 5.02 and GKnot rippack 0.27. Also, it must be a playback issue since the individual still frames dont exhibit the lines. Ive tried all the different codec settings in divx folder; no effect. Anyone else have this happen before?

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Was the movie interlaced?

3. 9ballninj

9ballninj Member

no--DVD. Definetely not interlacing artifacts. Significantly longer in lengths also.

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Can you tell me what the DVD movie is and how you encoded it? ie: which guides did you follow or steps you took.

5. 9ballninj

9ballninj Member

It happens with pretty much any DVD if the bitrate is not really high. But the most recent one I've dealt with is Darkness Falls. No way am I gonna put that on two CDs when its only 85min long. I rip with DVDecrypter, DVD2AVI, encode with GKnot, all the versions that came with GKnot rippack 0.27. I used a couple different resolutions, around 704x288, and then one click lower on slider bar. No difference in glitching. I set the appropriate input Asp. Ratio, used smart crop all, both soft and neutral bicubic resize filters, light psychovisual enhancement, I didnt fool with any settings in any of the GKnot tabs except bitrate and resolution. I used both forced film and not forced film in DVD2AVI, no difference in glitching. I did the compressability check and everything. It just only happens with bitrates under about 2000. And as I said, downloaded movies dont exhibit this behavior. Only mine.

6. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Have you tried using newer versions of gknot?

And what did dvd2avi say about the movie? interlaced, progressive, film...?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is but a dream...so wake me up already!!![/small]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2003
  7. 9ballninj

9ballninj Member

No, I haven't tried any GKnot newer than 0.27. DVD2AVI reported video type film, frametype progressive. I'm going to try nanomessiah's rip guide which doesn't use GKnot, but am currently having trouble getting the VFAPI reader .rar file to extract. Plus, I'm still going to use divx 5.02 pro because I really don't want to install all the firewall stuff and adware removal stuff as described by nanomessiah guide for divx 5.05, plus I don't fully understand it even if I did want to install it. Nobody on Kazaa seems to have made a crack for 5.05 yet anyway. BTW, I really appreciate your attention to my problem!

8. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

If youre really worried about the adware from divx 5.05 why dont you just get the free version with no adware support? Or if you want the adware version without the ads all you need to do is download a program called ad-aware from here
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    and run it on your system. Itll track down adware, spyware, cookies etc...When its done you will be able to view everything that ad-aware has found. All your going to be interested in is the gator adware. Tick on all the boxes except the on that says:
    Gator registry key clsid\{21ffb6c0-0da1-11d5-a9d5-00500413153c}.
    After that youre done.

9. 9ballninj

9ballninj Member

Since my last post I've done some experimenting with different sources and versions of divx. Suddenly my previously okay downloaded movies(which are on a CD and therefor cant be corrupted or changed) are starting to glitch now. Plus, I tried playing a glitchy movie with the divx player that came with bundle 5.05, and... no glitches. So now I'm convinced it is not my encoding thats the problem, but a playback issue. Previously I only used WMP to play my stuff. I've already got a copy of ad-aware(not installed currently), but when I used it a while back, half my application installer files gave the error: "not a valid win32 application". So I'll just use a divx player from now on, I guess. Just have to figure out how to make the audio work....

10. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

How many codecs do you have on your system? And what sort of problems are you having with the audio?

11. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I know you said that there are no interlacing artifacts but do the lines go away if you encode the videos WITH de-interlacing?

12. 9ballninj

9ballninj Member

The only codecs I have on my system are the ones that are installed with a Win98SE "typical" install, and the GKnot system pack ver 1.0. Plus, it seems I was wrong about the divx player not glitching. I watched a bit longer and of course the movie started glitching. Just not as bad as with WMP. All my experimenting with different versions of GKnot, directx, divx codec versions, etc. have been after a clean format of my harddrive and a fresh install of Win98, and after that only the neccessary drivers like LAN, audio, and video. The audio trouble I spoke of was with the movie HACKERS. The divx player that came with the GKnot system pack said it was unable to play the audio--only the video. But WMP plays the movie with the audio; no trouble. Doesn't any media player look for the codecs in the same location? I sure wish I could capture a frame with the glitches so everyone could see what I mean exactly, but as I said a few posts above, the still frames are okay. And lastly, no, I never thought of using de-interlace anyway. Actually, what I thought I might try next is an encode with all keyframes. I know I said above that Im sure its a playback issue, but if I cant solve it, maybe I can beat it somehow. What aggravates me the most is I never used to have this playback glitching trouble until recently. I usually have very little on my harddrive because of these very types of problems.

13. 9ballninj

9ballninj Member

Here is an update and a summarization of all the above threads: After formatting over my harddrive, and a "typical" install of Win98, and directx 8.0, I opened Vdub that came with GKnot 0.27 and observed the input and output video of an .avs file generated previously through GKnot. I played both the input & output video with divx5 loaded, divx4 fast and divx4 slow, and then finally uncompressed. Both displayed the glitching. Even the INPUT video! I was under the impression that the input video came straight from the .vob files. If I play a DVD it doesnt glitch so it shouldn't be a hardware problem. And lastly, as far as the glitching circumstances, it now occurs at all bitrates, with all the downloaded video that I've checked, with all players that I've used, with every codec I've tried, with keyframe intervals of both 300 and 1, with and without deinterlacing. And all my stuff is virus checked. I'm lost.......

14. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Im stumped as well...tell me did you ever encode anything in divx that didnt have any glitches? Well the only advice i can offer is to try the divx forums, maybe someone over there has an answer to your problems.

15. 9ballninj

9ballninj Member

Thanx for all your help powerdup. I took a couple of my divx movie CDs to another computer in the house which is loaded with all the same software I use and also same operating system. It doesnt glitch at all. It looks like my video card is going belly-up. I could swap video cards with the other computer and prove it beyond a doubt, but all I really care about is that the glitches arent getting into my encodes and that the problem will go away when I upgrade hardware. And praetor, thanx for pointing out the deinterlacing thing even for a DVD. There still is some interlacing artifacts which I never thought to look close for until you mentioned it.

16. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

np. That's what we're all here for.

17. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

What Praetor said.