1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX playback problem on standalone Divx DVD player

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by pacino69, Jul 5, 2007.

1. pacino69

pacino69 Member

a friend gave me a disc with 6 episodes of Doctor Who in DivX format. the first 5 episodes played without any problems on my toshiba DVD DivX player. the last one would not play. i then put the disc into my laptop and the last episode played with no problems. when i looked at the files on the disc they all had AVI extension, the first 5 where all 350MB in size, the last one which would not play on standalone player was 698MB in size. could someone please advise on why this particular file will not play.

many thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. pacino69

pacino69 Member

many thanks for the reply. will try GSpot in the morning and post results later.

4. jono1985

jono1985 Member

I think its not a codec problem, but in my experience, the ~700 MB Divx files going around are "high resolution" usually around 580 lines (above 480p standard deffinition) as they have been sourced (and down scaled) from HD sources. Most standalone Divx player wont support greater than standard def files.

5. attar

attar Senior member

That's a good suggestion.
    If GSpot shows the Pic WxH outside the 720x576 range, you can probably resize with VirtualDub.

6. pacino69

pacino69 Member

hi, sorry for the late reply. i put both divx files through GSpot, it seems the larger file did have a picture size outside 720x576. i have got virtualdub but don't know how to use, could someone please point me in the direction of a good guide to show how to resize using virtualdub. many thanks for the help on this

7. attar

attar Senior member

Tip of the hat to jono1985

Try this.I got it from some site and used it on a Sopranos episode.
    I just used the XviD compressor default.

'File' -> Open AVI File.
    'Video' -> 'Filters' > Add button.
    Double click 'Resize' filter.
    Set the width to 640, height to 360, filter mode to Lanczos3.
    'Video' -> 'Compression'. Select a codec.
    I recommend Divx or Xvid.
    If Xvid, the default settings (single pass, constant quantizer 4) will probably be sufficient. For Divx press Restore Defaults, then change the Rate Control Mode to 1-pass quality-based. The default value of 4 is fine.
    'File' -> 'Save as AVI'.

When you open it in VD, check the bitrate it's using under 'File>File information>Data Rate' to see what it had been encoded at.
    You could try setting a similar bitrate in the Xvid codec settings, or you could set the codec 'Target Quantizer' down to 2 if you were using 4 and it should help, though the filesize may increase.
    I use Xvid most often. Divx has different settings.

if your source is anamorphic wide screen DVD use 640x360 (note the 16:9 ratio), if your source is 4:3 DVD use 640x480 (note the 4:3 ratio)."

If you need the XviD Codec
    http://www.xvid.org/

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  8. pacino69

pacino69 Member

many thanks attar/jono1985 fo all your help and advice on this.