1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX Quality On Different Televisions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sellsolid, Jun 23, 2005.

1. sellsolid

sellsolid Member

Hi guys,

I have a Philips DVP630 DivX player, I have encoded alot of DivX files which play perfectly on my television set, but they play poorly on my PC. On my PC you could see that it is poor, BUT could this be because I encoded it with DivX 5 Home Theatre mode?

These are captured TV shows, which are in DivX format. If I was to buy a new television how would the quality be? Would it appear like the way it appears on my PC or the way it appears on my PC screen?

My TV is old, its a panasonic. There seems to be television sets which specifically states they have digital specialality. What do they exactly mean by this?

If you guys have any experience please post it here. So basically is the quality that is displayed due to my TV or is it because of my DivX player?

Thanks for any help.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Dont worry about termonology with the TV's. The reason for your query is quite simple. A television, depending on the make or model has around 500 or slightly more horizontal lines running across the screen that make up the image. There are a similar amount (500 in equivalent widescreen format) running vertically. This is what makes the image on the television.

You are finding that a DivX movie works brilliantly on the Television, but not so well on the PC.

Your PC has a screen resolution of say 1280x1024, well thats what mine is at. However, it is likely that the DivX movie is only encoded at a resolution of around 525x??? or even less at around 400x???, meaning that the image is going to look poor on your screen.

You can test this theory out by changing your resolution to 800x600 and you should notice a good improvement in the image. However, it probably still wont be as good as your TV.

So, your predicament is what TV to buy. Basically, get one with a CRT tube and around the 525 lines, which is pretty standard. If you go get a plasma with a higher resolution than SVGA you will find the image of DivX movies to be degraded. Basically, any modern CRT TV will play the movies fine...

Chris

3. sellsolid

sellsolid Member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, it would work fine on that Sony Rear Projection system.

[​IMG]

The only problem with rear projection TV is the viewing angle at which you can watch it. A normal CRT TV has a viewing angle somewhere in the region of 100 degrees, with distortion. This is because the screen curves and the further wide you go, the more distorted the image becomes for you. With a Plasma screen, the viewing angle, and indeed any flat CRT screen, etc, the viewing angle becomes a lot wider, to somewhere around 170 degrees.

This is not the case with rear projection. Although you do have a flat screen, the way in which rear projection works means that you basically have to be sitting directly in front of the TV with your eyes height set for around the middle of the screen.

Test this out by going to look at one. Stand up close to the image, and if the tv is on the floor on a stand, it will look very dark when you are standing. Go down on your knees then and you will see the image gets very bright and good. Do the same by stepping left and right when viewing from a distance of about 6 feet. You will again notice the picture changing.

Its just something to be aware of when buying a TV with rear projection. Hope this helps

Chris

5. sellsolid

sellsolid Member

Orphius thanks for your help.

The only thing that is bothering me is that is it worth buying a rear projection TV which has CRT functionality?

Is there any plasma screen TV's with this functionality? Isn't it possible to change the settings of a plasma to display DivX files like a CRT TV would?

Also with the above TV, is the CRT a standard or is it like a normal rear projection TV, but with a CRT mode which can switch on or off?

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

As with many Plasma screens, the ability to display varying resolutions is usually possible, but there is a native setting (the actual output on the plasma screen). I think that you would end up having compatibility problems unless you got a plasma with a resolution close to the 720 X 576, which would then mean a great picture quality.

Im heading off to Jamaica in the morning, so unfortunately dont quite have the time to help you out fully (gotta pack). But here is some info from the HowStuffWorks website that ive copied across for you:

Hope this helps
    Chris

7. sellsolid

sellsolid Member

Thanks for all your help, have a nice trip by the way.