1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIVX subtitle display problem on Philips DVP 642

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by jchow, Dec 6, 2004.

1. jchow

jchow Guest

Hi there,

I'm having problem playing the subtitle file on my philips dvd player, I already updated the firmware, and I tried burn it with different subtitle format (srt, sub), but still can't get it to display. The subtitle display fine on my computer though.

appreciate for any response!

2. Kingd

Kingd Guest

My understanding is it won't play subs unless its in a specific text format.

3. detroit0

detroit0 Member

.srt files do work if you go to the menu and then navigate to the subtitle file and press the subtitle button on the remote, and then go to the movie file and play it.

.sub files remain a mystery to me. some people claim to have seen these work, sort of like some people claim to see Elvis. When I have a disk with a .sub .idx file, the movie appears in the menu, and some other file appears as well but it shows mpeg2 as it's icon and using the subtitle causes the 'hand' to appear... talk to the hand!!! this is really too bad because .sub seems to quickly becoming the standard.

4. Kingd

Kingd Guest

detroit0: Yes, the vobsubs (.idx & .sub) are not text based, that's why. Most people prefer text based subs like .srt due to their smaller size. Vobsubs tend to be much larger in size, but i find the font looks nicer in most players.