1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIVX to avi conversion

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by carrotap, Oct 2, 2003.

1. carrotap

carrotap Member

I have a movie file in the format:
    abc.divx
    I want to convert this into an avi file with a different encoding, Xvid really. Are there any programs, like Virtuadub or Flask, that can open and read the abc.divx file and do direct conversion to another codec?

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. VirtualDUB is a great start for that stuff.

3. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Is the extension really *.divx?

Can you play this file?

Have you tried renaming it as an avi?

4. Praetor

*.DIVX is a DivX player specific extension and can be freely renamed to *.AVI

5. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

Hey I can use WINMpeg to convert divx to AVI but on some of the movies I lose sound. Is there anything else or better that I can use to convert divx to AVI.

6. Powa

Powa Regular member

I thought a divx file [bold]was[/bold] an avi? By the way re-encoding a divx file to xvid you will just lose quality.

7. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Yeah it is, its just that I guess some people rename their .avi files to .divx files. if you look at the movie types the divx player can open youll see the .divx extension.

R.A.G.S:

You already had an avi and re-encoding it to an avi again just gives you a file with lower quality so just delete than and use the original. And if the original has an .divx extension, you can just easily rename it to avi.
    Never had the chance to use WinMPG so I cant help you with that, sorry.

8. R.A.G.S

R.A.G.S Regular member

Its true that divx files can be renamed to avi but they are not true AVI files. for example if you play a divx file which has been renamed to avi in standerd windows media player it wont play unless you get the divx codec for the media player. A true avi file is recognised by windows media player or any other AVI player.

9. Praetor

That is where you are wrong. AVI (audio-video interleave) is just that... a bunch of frames and sounds meshed together.... how they are put together is inconsequential as it is a matter of abstraction. DivX is one way, and there are zillions of different compression schemas.

10. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Well, avis are files that have been compresssed within the mpeg-4 stream format; and to actually do this process, you need an mpeg-4 codec such as divx or xvid. And you need that same codec or something equivalent (hint: FFdshow :)), to decompress the file's content.

So Im not really sure what you mean by "true" avi._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is but a dream...so wake me up already!!![/small]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2003
  11. Praetor

Not even. For a file to be AVI it is not required to be compressed to conform to MPEG4.... recall backsay 7 years ago when there was no MPEG4.... there were still AVI files too. Mostly compressed with Indeo, Cinepack and Microsoft codecs but a large portion ot all AVI files then had no compression.

Also, goto VDub, Video --> COmpression and note that there is the option to save as Uncompressed RGB. You can still doa File --> Save as AVI and still play it :)

Of course in a modern day context you are correct :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2003
  12. Coolmott

Coolmott Member

I have run into the same issue. It seems to me that .divx files have the same copy protections as, say, a .asf or .wmv (Microsoft streaming files) would have.

I believe the .divx format is the format used for license management by the DivX player. I ,too, tried to download and "Edit" a .divx file, and I got the "un-recognized" file format errors. (using Ulead VideoStudio 7.0) I was testing a theory, because if I was able to open the files, I would be able to transcode them to any number of other MPEG formats (1, 2 or 4, including a DivX AVI) using VideoStudio.

.divx, and asf, wmv, for that matter, is the software industries answer to the secure copyrighted media problem. If you open a .divx, the DivX player can be instructed to connect to a secure site for password and license verification. Same is true with a wmv file, where WM9 will downloaded a license (often date, time restricted). I'm seeing some of the better VoD sites use these file formats.

I am sure the .divx format has an MPEG4 encoded video file in it, but it may be encrypted, and I'm sure that the header will provide details on where license info and decryptions keys can be found. The trick is to defeat these protections, and get a clean MPEG4 video feed into an AVI format. (AVI is just the Microsoft format for any codec combination of audio/video, the header contains info on the decoder to use. In this case, the decoder would DivX based upon the MPEG4 specification.)

I will say this, an encrypted video file would be HUGE and defeat the lower bandwidth purpose of the MPEG4 compression. I would be willing to bet that a .divx file IS NOT ENCRYPTED, and that you just need a program to ignore the header and grab the MPEG4 stream.

You guys know any crackers with good kung-fu?

13. Praetor

Whoa... stop. A few corrections.
    1. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "NORMAL" AVI. ALL AVI FILES ARE AVIs. PERIOD.

And what of people without internet? Or something mundane as disconnecting a cable or activating a firewall? -- YES they can still play the movies.

Although it is possible I will go out on a limb and say all across the board that DivX is NOT such a format.

MPEG4, despite the name is not MPEG whatsoever... MPEG4 refers specifically to the DivX/XviD (and others, but they aren't so common) encoded AVI files. MPEG1 and MPEG2 files have extensions ending with DAT , MPG or MPEG

WHOA . AVI, or audio-video interleave is just that - AUDIO and VIDEO being INTERLEAVED together. I trust I dont need to repeat myself and point out that MPEG4 encoded files are AVI and have the .avi extension on them. Also, if AVI was Microsoft thing, wouldnt you think the Linux people would have to pay licensing fees up the wazoo? Also, are avi files that use no codec whatsoever also avi files by that definition?

This file format is not encrypted in any way. It's just that Microsoft has locked down the patent for opening ASF files. Of course this does not apply to programs made before the patent was secured. I.e., VirtualDub 1.3c

From what you have said, the encryption is in the header... header's are small.

The rest of your posts says divx is encrypted/protected. Also, the computer wouldnt know how to interpret the file if it didnt have a header.

Note that the DivX player is an optional install. You do not need it and the videos wills till play/encode without it. This means that it plays no part whatsoever in the ability for people to playback movies. Have you tried plain old WMP? :p

14. 8r8ene

8r8ene Member

i have same problem from one video (gamelink.com)
    there is a solution for conversion .divx to .avi?

15. Praetor

This is how you convert .DIVX to .AVI:
    1. Select the file.
    2. Press F2
    3. Change the DIVX at the end to AVI.

DIVX files are just AVIs that have been compressed using the divx codec.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.addictz.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2004
  16. BeyndMyst

BeyndMyst Member

perhaps i can put in my $0.02 here, since i also have just purchased a divx rental from gamelink.

the file downloaded from the site has drm protection and is encrypted. i have read elsewhere that apparently every time the file is to be played the divx player contacts gamelink and verifies that the rental has not expired, and will decrypt the file for display if all is well.

i am somewhat surprised that seemingly no one has worked out a crack for this divx drm protection. maybe unlike dvds the market for encrypted divx or wmv files is not yet that big, so crackers do not find it justified yet to devote their time for this area.

so meanwhile i will just have to keep using camtasia studio to screen capture the clip from the screen while it's playing.

gamelink seems to have knowledgeable technical people working for them since their streaming vod files also cannot be captured by net transport or streambox vcr.

just my $0.02.

BeyondMyst

17. BeyndMyst

BeyndMyst Member

good news. just discovered wmrecorder.com can capture the vod streams from gamelink, so at least now i can save the streaming wmvs. just make sure you use the url mode in the program otherwise it may lose frames and the video will get stuck.

BeyondMyst

18. 8r8ene

8r8ene Member

BeyndMyst i have camtasia studio but the divx is already expired.
    I have over 500Mb not playable.

19. gmmathers

gmmathers Member

praetor -

my files are divx. I can play them in my special dvd player that supports divx. my friend's dvd player does not. How can i change the divx(mpeg4) to SVCD(mpeg2) so that i can play them in his dvd player. I dont think just changing the extention will do this...but what will?

20. Praetor