1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIVX to avi conversion

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by carrotap, Oct 2, 2003.

1. carrotap

carrotap Member

Thanks for the replies.

The divx in question was one that was a rental downloaded from the Internet.

The re-naming of the divx extenion to avi did not work. I think it's got drm on the file, it also appears to be tied to the specific computer and divx player used.

I may give the screen capture a go in future.
    :)

2. rwjacobs

rwjacobs Member

I too have downloaded a Rented .divx file from gamelink. I have tried to use Camtasia Studio to screen capture the clip from the screen while it's playing. According to Tech Support at Camtasia, you can't capture files from the DivX Player because Hardware acceleration can't be turned off in that player. If you turn off hardware acceleration thru the Display Properties, settings, advanced tab, file won't play either, saying there is a DirectX error. I have tried 10 different Screen Capture programs with no luck as they all require the Hardware Acceleration feature be turned off for screen capture to succeed. Unfortunately, Rental .divx files can't be played on any other player other than The DivX Player as you need a user name and password. If the member [BeyndMyst] can get Camtasia to screen capture these rental .divx files, I'd like to know how. I have tried everything I know of with no luck.. I have about 15 days left before my Rental file goes POOF. Any help would be appreciated...Thanks

Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
  3. BeyndMyst

BeyndMyst Member

yes, indeed i have also found that the divx player needs directx and cannot be screen captured by camtasia. until an util such as fraps becomes more reliable i see no immediate good solution.

however, i have found that downloadable wimp movies from places such as kindra can be captured by camtasia, since the wimp player can be run on 1/2 hw accel mode.

having said all that, i have come to realize that i don't really ever watch those movies a second time, so now i simply pay the rental and be done with it. 30 days is way more than enough to watch any pr0n flick.

hth