1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx to DVD conversion

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by pthorpe61, Jan 2, 2011.

1. pthorpe61

pthorpe61 Member

How much bigger is a film when converted from Divx to DVD? Using ConvertxtoDVD it converts and bashes it on a DVD5 with no quibbles. When trying the same operation with Rz DVD it says it is too big for a DVD5 and do I want the prog to auto size it to fit. Obviously C X toDVD is auto sizing whereas Rz is giving the option. I would like to know which prog to buy that will give me the best results. The project I want to convert is 2.1G. I appreciate I may need to use a DVD 9 to increase storage capacity.

I know C X toDVD adds a switch on/off subtitle track does R Z? The other influencing factor when trying to decide which prog to use is I need to hardcode subtitles on to the finished article can this be easily done with both progs?

2. attar

attar Senior member

It's not the size of the source that determines the size of the output.
    It's the running time X the bitrate.
    Different programs offer different levels of control to the user as to output size - two hours, six hours etc without regard to quality.
    Two hours of running time on a standard disk isn't unreasonable.

3. pthorpe61

pthorpe61 Member

Thanks for the reply. So when RZ says the input source is too big to convert to a DVD5 its saying the way it converts it will make it too big where as C X toDVD adjusts itself for the best with the target medium provided? I understand PCM sampling principles so you are saying RZ samples at a higher rate which by default creates a higher resultant end product. The quality will be similar?

As too comparing the to softwares do I need to post in a different forum?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  4. attar

attar Senior member

It usually works out to the eye of the beholder.
    Some people swear through a six inch plank that HcEnc provides a better output than QuEnc, but a Philistine like myself can't see it.
    Taking nothing away from Afterdawn, for expert opinion on the difference between these programs I would try the Videohelp site.
    Another is the Doom9 Forum - but they often expect you to know the answer before asking the question;forbye they discourage questions that they suspect involve downloaded material.

5. pthorpe61

pthorpe61 Member

Thanks again for your reply. I'll have browse through the suggest forums