1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX to DVD Onto HDD Recorder - Help Please ?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by rolypoly6, Jan 24, 2007.

1. rolypoly6

rolypoly6 Member

Hello to everybody on this forum, I'm hoping for some advice regarding getting my daughters favourite DVDs onto a philips HDD/DVD recorder.

Whenever I use DvdShrink to take a copy of a DVD I thought that copyright protection was removed ...... but I cant record the copied DVD onto the HDD drive via an external dvd player as it complains that it's copyrighted and protected.

However I downloaded Shrek as an DivX avi file and have used winavi video converter to convert this DivX movie to DVD format & burnt the files to a DVD using nero.
    This will actually record to the HDD player with no problems at all and acheives what I'm after - just need to be able to manipulate my daughters DVDs to allow the copying to HDD to work.

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious here but I thought/hoped I'd be able to copy real DVDs such as Bob The Builder (no laughing please) to another DVD using dvdshrink then to avi using winavi and back to DVD format on the newly created avi file to then allow copying to the HDD drive.

Is there something I need to do using DivX converter to allow the DVD films to be copied to HDD like the downloaded DivX avi files were able to be ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Roland

2. spencsm

spencsm Guest

It sounds like (for one thing) you're doing far too much converting. Each conversion will reduce quality levels.

What kind of rig is this "HDD/DVD recorder"? Sounds like a device that should be capable of playing other formats, so you could skip some steps and just rip the DVD directly into another format (easier and saves space).

As for copyright protection, DvDShrink doesn't remove it. You need to have AnyDVD running in the background...

3. rolypoly6

rolypoly6 Member

Hi, and thanks for the reply ;-)
    The DVD/HDD is a philips 7260H and unfortunately won't play divx files.
    You can't copy from its dvd drive to the HDD so the only option is to use a standalone DVD player that I have (a sony that can't play divx either) and plug it in as a camcorder using the red, yellow and white leads.
    The HDD will record provided it doesn't detect copyright/protected information on the dvd playing as input.

Does this explain my problem and why I've tried those several levels of decoding (probably in ignorance).

Thanks in advance for any adice/thoughts.

4. spencsm

spencsm Guest

Right, now I see. That's very annoying! I wonder if there's a hack for your HDD/DVD player, make it copy in spite of protection. What's the model number?

Otherwise, your best bet is to rip the DVD with AnyDVD running in the background, then burn a new DVD (use RW if you can to save wasted discs). Rip from DVD format to DVD format if hard drive space isn't an issue. If space is an issue, rip directly to a format that your HDD unit supports.

Again, the less conversions the better...