1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX to SVCD, sound sync problem after burning to CD-R

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by chetwynd, Feb 10, 2004.

1. chetwynd

chetwynd Guest

I have converted a good quality DivX movie to SCVD. The sound and video on both these files is excellent. Now I split the SVCD into 3 parts using DV_Tool. Again if I play each of the split SVCDs on my PC the sound and video are great. Now when I burn the SVCD to CD-R using Nero 6 there is a sound sync problem when I play it on my DVD player and TV. The quality is still good but the sync is out. Any ideas? is this perhaps related to 48KHz vs 41.4KHz on the PC vs DVD player? interesting eh?

thanks for any advice out there

2. chetwynd

chetwynd Guest

I did some more checking out on this. I converted another DivX and got the same result. Then I tried the burnt CDs in a different DVD player - hey presto they all work fine including the a/v sync. Looks like its a hardware issue with my DVD player. It's a Venturer STS75E, I would be greatful if anybody knows how to get around this hardware prob.

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

This can Happen when the Bitrate used to encode the SVCD File is a Bit to High for your DVD Player to Handle so the Audio which is decoded and Read seperately will Play fine but the Video who"s Data rate is a Bit too High can not Be read in Real Time because the Disk can not be Spinned Fast enough and/Or the data gets Trapped in the Buffer for a Longer time so it will Play a Bit slower than the Audio there for Causeing the Sync Problem...This Usually Manifests it"s self as Sync Problems and Choppy Video Playback....Try useing a Lower Bitrate to create your SVCD"s and Burn them on as slow of a speed as you can.... You might also consider getting a DVD Burner for Like $99 or Less and then you can Put 2 or 3 full SVCD Movies on each Disk ....good Luck

4. chetwynd

chetwynd Guest

Hey there, thanks for the advice, it makes complete sense and I'll bear this in mind in future. Do you have any idea of a typical max bitrate that a DVD player can handle or where I might track this down?

I do have a DVD burner but have not had much success yet creating readable SVCDs on DVD-R format. I've just ordered a pucker version of Nero so I'm hoping that will help. Any advice on this issue would be much appreciated too. Trial and error with DVD-Rs can get a bit expensive!

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the Max allowable Bitrate in the SVCD Standard is about 2500kbs but the thing is that encoders don"t allways obey the bitrate that you set especially Tmpgenc...If you want to Put SVCD"s onto DVD then try useing DVD-Lab,I used it to Back up over 400 Full SVCD Movies to DVD...I would First rip the SVCD Mpeg2 files off of the CD-r"s then Join them together useing "Mpeg2VCR" and then Demux the audio in Mpeg2VCR and then re-encode the Mpeg1 Layer 2 44100hz SVCD audio to Dolby AC3 at 48000hz useing Vegas Video but you could just encode it to Mpeg audio at 48000hz, and then use DVD Lab to Make the Menu"s and Chapters and to Create the DVD....
    Nero doesn"t have any real Features for Creating SVCD"s or DVD"s...It has the Absolute Worst Mpeg2 encoder ever created so if you let it encode your files to SVCD or DVD it will totally ruin the quality, and it has to DVD Authoring Features unles you get Vision Express which will re-encode every file that gets loaded into it ,Even if the Files are allready 100% SVCD or DVD Compliant it will still re-encode the files and ruin them...The only thing Nero is Good For is for Burning DVD Folders to DVD and VCD/SVCD Files to CD-R and other thing that do not involve it useing it"s Crappy encoder on your Files....Good Luck

6. chetwynd

chetwynd Guest

Hi Minion, thanks for the reply again. I'll have to digest this and have a play with it when I have some more time. I recently purchased a DV camcorder and have just ordered Pinnacle Studio 9 for editing. The write up on Pinnacle suggests it also has some useful DVD authoring features and conversions from avi to DVD playable formats so I'll try those too since most of my file sources will be in DivX.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

I Have the New Studio 9 and it is Extremely Buggy and seems to Crash all the Time and it"s Encodeing Quality is Pretty Low.......

8. chetwynd

chetwynd Guest

Hi Minion, I tried a few conversions from DivX to SVCD and then authored the DVDs using DVD Lab (DVD Lab is really cool by the way, I hadn't used it before). I burnt the DVDs using Nero and the quality is excellent on my player and TV. Thanks for your help. By the way, when I convert in TMPGEnc I have used the standard template and this generates a pretty large SVCD file (too large for 3 on a DVD-R). Have you played with the other bitrate options in TMPGEnc and any recommendations on automatic, manual etc?

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well what you do is before you encode the 3 DivX Movies to SVCD use a Bitrate Calculator to Calculate the Bitrate needed so that all 3 Movies will fit on one DVD-R...I use One Called "PowerBit" and you Just Put in the Ammount of Minutes your Movies are all together and then you Put in the Amount of Audio Tracks you will be useing (1) and the Bitrate you will be useing to encode the Audio (224kbs?) and then it will calculate the Bitrate you have to use so that they will fit on the DVD...and you can allways Cut off some of the end Credits from the Movies so they will be shorter and you can raise the Bitrate a Little Higher to achieve a Bit better Quality...I find that for SVCD anything over 2000kbs will Produce Quite Good Quality....Cheers