1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX to SVCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by chetwynd, Jan 31, 2004.

1. chetwynd

chetwynd Guest

Please can somebody point me towards the best guide for converting DivX to SVCD. I have encoded the originals myself previously so I know the audio/video settings.

By the way, do I need to keep the bin/cue files or just the .mpg?

Thanks

2. Hunter007

Hunter007 Regular member

3. Lostboy76

Lostboy76 Member

Hey ... i had a few questions...
    Well sVCD uses mpeg2 while vcd uses mpg1 ...
    If i had an avi ... with a resolution lower than 480x480 could i set it to svcd and get a high quality video ...?

If i converted an avi video that is ... lets say 480x640 ... and converted it into svcd ... will it look better than converting the same file to vcd? what's the difference? if svcd is better why do people make vcds?

4. Hunter007

Hunter007 Regular member

If you convert an AVI file to SVCD it will be much higher quality then if you convert it to VCD. People tend to use VCD as it takes up less space on a CD. For example a 2 hour movie when converted into MPEG-1 (VCD format)can fit on 2 80 min CD-R's. An SVCD can only fit about 30 or 40 min of high quality video on a CD-R. Most people want a movie that is pretty good quality to watch from their home DVD player. I personally use VCD as it looks pretty good when backed up from a DVD. SVCD requires more discs, which means more disc switching.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Pentium 4 1.8ghz
    80 gig hard drive 7200 rpm(2x40 gigs)
    LG 16x DVD ROM
    Samsung 52x CD-RW
    Nvidea 128 mb GeForce 4 Ti
    512 DDR RAM[/small]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  5. chetwynd

chetwynd Guest

Hey there, thanks for the pointer, I'll give it a try. By the way, have you tried writing SVCD to DVD-R? I guess you could fit three reasonable sized films on one disc but I'm not sure DVD-R will play on a standard household DVD player. Do you know? I'm reluctant to waste too many DVD-Rs on trials.

thanks again

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

VCD video playback is poor compared to SVCD video playback and the prices of cd-r's have come way down in price these days. I have countless dvd backups to SVCD and most of them are "2 disc sets". I eliminated the disc switching by purchasing a carousel home dvd player.

I assume you used DVD2SVCD and converted your DivX to SVCD? I recommend you play the .mpg files with your favorite media player first and determine that the video& audio is in sync. If so then I would burn the bin& cue files very slow= 8x then play them on your home dvd player before deleting.

Shoey :)
    P.S I don't do dvd to SVCD backups anymore as I've moved up to the big league and purchased a Lite ON LDW-411S (4x\dual) dvd burner.< I LOVE it!

7. Lostboy76

Lostboy76 Member

what if i change the bitrate from 25xx to 12xx ... will the svcd @ 12xx be better than vcd at 12xx?

Thanx

I plan on getting a dvd recorder ... but it's still expensive .. the 8x io magic is still 100$ ... maybe later this year

8. chetwynd

chetwynd Guest

Hi All, I converted a DivX to SVCD using this guide and it worked really well. It expanded the size of the file a little but I'm not bothered too much about that. I played the resultant SVCD on my PC and it worked fine. I then split the SVCD into 3 using DV-Tool. Again each of the three files work fine when played on PC. However, when I burnt them to CD using Nero the sound is out of sync when played on my DVD player. Its less than a second but still unwatchable (unless you sit 6 mile from the TV and use the lag between speed of light and sound!). Any ideas?