1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX to VCD - The Error Occurred When ACM Initialized

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by one5one, Jun 7, 2003.

1. one5one

one5one Guest

I'm trying to convert a DivX (AVI)file to MPEG1 (VCD) using the afterdawn guide. When I hit start on TPMGEnc I get the message "the error occurred when ACM initialized. I have read the guides link to troubleshooting the problem and have also found some info from threads on this site. I have tried all the suggestions but I still get this message. Does anyone know what it means and/or what a I am doing wrong?

2. one5one

one5one Guest

Guess I'll respond to myself on this one. Took me 2 days but I figured out a fix. In case anyone else has this problem I'll document what I did.

I don't know why I was getting the error in the first place but what I did was this: I downloaded a free program called avi2vcd version 1.4.2 http://www.mnsi.net/~jschlic1/ . It has a program that decompresses AVI files. So using this program I decompressed my file then used the process from the afterdawn guide to convert it to MPEG and it worked.

But I wasn't exactly out of the woods because after that neither of my burning programs, Roxio or NTI would burn the VCD. They both said there were problems with the format. So I downloaded the AC3 filter http://ac3filter.sourceforge.net/ and installed that. Then NTI would burn the VCD and the VCD played fine on the DVD.

Once again, I have no idea why this all worked but hopefully this info will be helpful to someone else.

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Sorry I didnt see this post I was gone for a while, let me explain!!

ACM actually means Audio Compression Manager!! It ios used for compressing/decompressing audio! Usually this error would occur if you had a codec problem or missing some sort of plug-in!

4. one5one

one5one Guest

Does it make sense then that decompressing the audio solved the problem? If so, why?

5. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Because TMPGEnc didnt have to use ACM then I suppose!