1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIVX > VCD Better than DVD > SVCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by marty999, Mar 5, 2003.

1. marty999

marty999 Member

Hi ya'll, ive been converting downloaded DIVX movies and converting them to VCD with only VDUB and TMPGE for like a year now, than i decided to rip directly from a DVD to SVCD with dvd2svcd because i thought the quality would be better, but guess what... it seems that the preripped 700mb divx movies look better on my standalone dvdplayer than the movies i rip from a dvd. i use smartripper, tmpge in dvd2svcd. The svcd's i make are nice but with a lot of movement in the movie it gets all blocky especially with bright colours. Can anyone give me some tips? Or can anyone tell me what THE best way is to convert a dvd to a svcd or vcd. Or how are the DIVX movies i download created, is that the best way?

Ow yeah and an other thing, i have loads of problems with converting xvid movies to svcd.
    These XVID movies come in 2 files a 700 mb, what is the best way to convert these to svcd? Ive read some articles here but nothing works, i keep on having problem with extracting the sound with VDUB.

Thanks/Greetz Marty

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

When you are creating SVCD, do you create it with Constant Birate with TMPGEnc or do you use VBR encoding which has much better quality!?? I would recommend TMPGEnc for MPEG-1 encoding but I use CCE SP for MPEG-2 enocding because the quality is excellent.

As for your xvid files, They probably have ac3 audio whioch means vdub cannot extract it. You can do 2 things, you can use DVD2SVCD (click the misc tab and make sure that AVI is the input format!) or you can use this guide http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/divx_to_vcd.cfm

that guide will allow you to convert the ace to mp2 and then encode the video!

3. marty999

marty999 Member

Thanx, i sure am gonna try cinemacraft. i already looked at the program it seems so simpel, there arent many setting to be changed.
    I'll let u know the outcome.

I've tried dvd2vcd with an xvidfile but the program stopped right before encoding the video with tmpge. i tried to load the video straight into tmpge and there it was an error.
    i think the "die another day cd1 xvid file was bogus, other movies do work in the way u described. I dont understand in the properties of the die another day file it says clearly that it is an xvid file.

got any ideas or should i leave it this way?

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I agree with dela on this one. For SVCD format, use DVD2SVCD and Cinema Craft Encoder produces superior video playback. TMPEng encoder takes WAY to long to encode, but I use the best possible settings. The same applies to Canopus ProCoder, but a bit faster than TMPEng encoder for SVCD.

Shoey

5. Dela

Never mention the name of a movie you are downloading!! Only mention problems like i have an xvid file and i cant convert it to vcd or whatever ok!

Anyway, where did you download this file??

6. wormbrner

wormbrner Guest

marty, i sent you a private message, please read

7. marty999

marty999 Member

it was kazaa of course but no worry its old stuff already, ive got the dvd already, lol

i'll try the encoder shoey mentioned.
    havent got the time to try cinema enc.
    now ive got an normal divx file, GRRRR and only the intro of the cinema shows the sec the movie starts the screen goes blanc, ive used only vdub and tmpge and last dvtool.
    im all confused, i never encountered this much probs.

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

marty999,
    Use CCE for SVCD format in conjunction with DVD2SVCD. TMPGenc& Canopus ProCoder are great encoders and produce superior video quality (2 pass), but SLOW. CCE (mulit-pass vbr3/4) is quite faster. Yes, even encoding at multi-pass vbr-4, lol.

Shoey

9. Dela

yep CCE SP with DVD2SVCD as the frontend just go together like break and butter in the output quality!!

10. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I'll be honest here since I've already put Canopus ProCoder to the test. if I were running a Athlon XP 2.4^higher, I would be using Canopus ProCoder. Video quality is slightly better, but only visible viewing on a high end tech tv.

Shoey

11. marty999

marty999 Member

Im running a p4 2.53, 1024 ddr (2700) and a gigabyte ultra 2 mainboard, the cinemacraft encoder works great, thanx !!!!

i just have to try the xvid files, is it better to convert them to mpeg1 with tpm or mpeg 2 with cce? im curious

greetzzz

12. Dela

Convert them to Mpeg-2 because CCE SP is made Mpeg-2 really. It can do MPEG-1 but cant do a good job at it. For mpeg-1 i recommend CCE SP or ProCoder!

13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Convert your xvid file(s) to MPEG2 (SVCD)= much better video quality m8.

Shoey

14. Dela

Yep I agree, mpeg-2 is much much better quality than mpeg-1 can hope to be :p

15. marty999

marty999 Member

Thanx people, ive tried cce with the xvids and the dvd rips.
    The quality is extremely good !

mpeg2 and cce are the best !

greetz

16. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Another satisfied "Afterdawn" customer, lol. CCE is spectacular hey marty? Too bad I'm not runnin' an Athlon XP 2.4, cause if I were, I'd be usin' Canopus ProCoder.

Shoey

17. marty999

marty999 Member

ur saying CPC is better than CCE?
    Let me guess the CPC encoder wont work on my pent 4 2.53?
    well mb 4 the next computer than?

Hey btw does anybody know how to convert .VRO files (Digital film stored from my dig cam directly onto a 8 cm dvd-ram disk) to something like svcd? Those discs cost a fortune ! When i put the dig film on my hard drive i cant do anything with it. its kind of a new technologie i think, but im not planning to pay like $15 for 30 min of video to watch in my dvd. im working on a solution here but m b someone has fixed the prob. thanx/greetz