1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx Video Playback

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by johnnymo, Oct 10, 2002.

1. johnnymo

johnnymo Guest

I created a backup of Ocean's Eleven using the guide on this site for DVD to Divx. All is perfect except the video has a slight jump every few seconds. Not horrible but a little annoying.

I backed up Finding Forester the same way with no apparent video jitter.

I used 128 bit sound and found the bitrate using the calculator.

The only part of the Instructions that I was unsure of was in the Audio section of virtual dub. They never mention interleaving under the audio header & it was checked by default. I think I left it that way.

Thanks. Johnny

2. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

I had the same problem the first time I created a DivX movie using the new 5.02 divx codec.. try doing a 2 pass vbr instead of single pass cbr, during scenes with high motion, this will give bitrate priority to those scenes making them smoother.

This guide describes how this is done:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2divx_anamorphic.cfm

best of luck!

3. johnnymo

johnnymo Guest

Hey, thanks so much for the advice! I will try what you recommend. However, the article you link is the one I followed to a "T". It shows "Uncheck" Varible Bit Rate & it has me doing a 2 pass.

Any more thoughts on the interleaving. As I mentioned above, the guide does not mention this part of the Audio section.

Thanks again.

4. gromkov

gromkov Member

5. VCDjunkie

actually, that guide has you unchecking vbr for cdex, which is for the audio.. and if you are doing a 2 pass vbr encoding for the video, then the second pass video shouldn't be jerky or jumpy.. anyhow, I usually do things the easy way, and for that reason I use Gordian Knot, guide found here: http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/gknot-main3.htm

Try that and see if it works out better for you! Oh, and make sure you use the Pro version of DivX 5.02, the regular version works, but does not have as much functionality.. if that was what you were using, that would probably be a good explaination as to why your video is jerky!

Cheers!

6. VCDjunkie

Oh, yeah, and gromkov, take your spam someplace else you freak.

SPAMMER !!!!

7. johnnymo

johnnymo Guest

Thanks for all the great insight. I've had problems with Gordian Knot. That's why I came back to the DVD to DivX guide at this site.

Even after the insight I've still experienced a little jumpiness while backing up "Oceans Eleven".

Have also attempted to use EasyDivX .81 & .82 but the encoding process never completes properly. Sure would be nice to have a simple start & watch program.

Thanks again for all the responses.