1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx/Xvid playback jerky

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by mopezone, Dec 14, 2004.

1. mopezone

mopezone Member

I'm downloading divx and xvid files and burning them on to CDR and/or DVDR, with no re-encoding or anything like that.
    They play fine on my standalone divx player except for one thing - the video always seems a little bit jerky, ie when the camera pans across a scene it seems to move in short steps rather than smoothly. This is spoiling my enjoyment of the movies somewhat!
    Any ideas? Is this normal? Am I using a crap player?(a standalone Sumvision N820)- I've tried burning at a slower speed, but with no difference.
    Thanks for any advice you can give me!

2. chegmaste

chegmaste Member

Hi

I have the same problem with my Austrian made DIVX player
    ELTA 8883.Did you find a solution? I ma still looking

Chegmasterfunk

3. mopezone

mopezone Member

No I didn't find a solution - I have found, however, that the problem only occurs with some DIVX files - with others the movie plays as smoothly as a dvd.
    So I suspect that it must be to do with the way the movie has been encoded to DIVX - maybe some people are just better at it than others!
    For instance I got a really jerky copy of Garden State, that made me feel ill just watching it - I downloaded one from another group and it plays perfectly - same player, same media, same speed burn.

4. chegmaste

chegmaste Member

Hi

Have you tried enencoding the "jerky" movie with an App ?

Chegmasterfunk

5. steve1221

steve1221 Guest

Hi, I had the same problem (with a Skyworth divx player from Smiths).
    Someone said to try a proh called MPEG4Modifier and unpack the bitstream and then resave the file (takes about 2 mins to run a 40 min tv ep, 400 meg). It works for most divx files but only has a small effect on anything coded with xvid. So I guess the problem is something else as was with xvid ??

6. mopezone

mopezone Member

Do you mean RE encoding it?

If so, which app would you suggest?

7. mopezone

mopezone Member

Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try - I'm surprised more people haven't been experiencing this problem, as I don't think it can be my player?
    But when you say 'unpack the bitstream and resave the file' what do you mean exactly? I'm not sure how to do this, or is it obvious when you open the app?

8. steve1221

steve1221 Guest

Hi, Sorry about the bad grammer and spelling !! message was type in a rush...(and thats the story I'm sticking to)
    Once you've run MPEG4Modifier there's a panel top right labeled 'packed bitstream' with a flag set to yes or no. If it's set to yes there'll be a tick box to 'unpack' tick the box, set a download path and aways it goes.
    I haven't found a fix for xvid yet, it maybe that the firmware on the players just can't handle the new codecs and as most of them can't be upgraded I don't see there much we can other then re-code the whole file. For the time taken to re-code a 400+ meg file I'll put up with the slight jerk.

9. chegmaste

chegmaste Member

Hi

I have had problem with using MPEG4 Mod as when I download I get error message with running the .exe blue box icon.Did you have any problems downloading/launching?

Chegmasterfunk

10. steve1221

steve1221 Guest

Hi, I seem to remember a problem downloading it, I had to search for another site...

If you want to drop me an email addy, I'll post you the one I've got ?

11. chegmaste

chegmaste Member

Hi

That would be ideal!!!!

Thanks

Chegmasterfunk