1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divx/Xvid quality vs DVD

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by lesstjake, Aug 18, 2007.

1. lesstjake

lesstjake Regular member

I've been up until now making back ups of my DVD's onto DVD-Rs. This is fine and all and I have no problem doing it. But I'm curious, if I can get a full 4gb DVD down to a 700mb Divx/Xvid file and keep it on an external disk why not just do that? I hook my laptop onto a 22" monitor which is how I watch most of my movies and occasionally onto bigger screens. How much more noticeable quality difference is there in a DVD than a Divx file? What size screen would I need to notice it.

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

I compress my dvd's down to a 1000mb Xvid and they look fine on my 27 inch LCD TV. A 700mb Xvid is viewable but just isn't as good as a 1000mb file.
    From my expierence Divx is as close to DVD quality as you can get, a 1000mb Divx file has the same color and sharpness as the original DVD.
    A 1000mb Xvid file is as sharp as the original but the colors aren't as vivid.
    I only choose to use Xvid because I was having audio/sync problems with Divx, but Divx definitely had the better picture.
    I tried different file sizes but finally settled on 1000mb as the best quality that I can live with without taking up too much space on my hard drive. And always make sure you use the 2-pass method when encoding, this eliminates artifacts on the finished product.

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Xvid, DivX and DVD all use YV12 colourspace so colours should be the same. Perhaps a decoder issue? Try decoding both with ffdshow and HQ RGB conversion enabled.

If you aren't encoding for a certain media size then the best quality will be single pass fixed quant.

If you are having to re-encode your DVD's when going to DVDR, then MPEG-4 will give you the same quality at a smaller size. If you aren't re-encoding the DVD's then MPEG-4 will never give you the same quality since it is lossy.

4. yekiran

yekiran Member

hi there, i try to convert by VSO from Divx to DVD, but the quality is not same as Divx ,why so ? do i need to put any addtional codac for this ? plz help me, when ever i try to conver Divx or Xvid on DVD,quality not same as the orignal one, thanx in advance..

any suggestions wud be appriciated...
    thanx again.

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

You are hijacking a thread in the wrong forum. To answer though; DVD uses MPEG-2 which is lossy. VSO isn't the best encoder, although libavcodec that I think it uses (possible that it only uses it for input) is capable of decent quality. Lastly it most likely resizes to full DVD resolution from a lower resolution. This does nothing for the quality, just further wastes bits.