1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

divx/xvid to vcd/svcd using nero

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by accy786, Dec 12, 2003.

1. accy786

accy786 Member

plzzz help im new to all this :(
    i have a divx movie on my hardrive which i want to burn so i can play it on my home dvd player (plays vcd/svcd).
    i have nero 6 (smartstart)and i was wondering is it as simple as choosing the "make a vcd or svcd" option (it cant be as easy as that! CAN IT?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Yes it is that easy when useing Nero .(Accept you will need a SVCD Plugin for makeing SVCD"s) But there is One Catch ,Your (S)VCD will look like total Low Quality Crap..The encoder (To encode your DivX/XviD files to Mpeg1 for VCD or Mpeg2 for SVCD) In Nero is really Low Quality, It is actually a Long running Joke in the Video world...If you want to make High Quality (S)VCD"s or DVD"s from your AVI files you are going to learn how to do it Properly, but a Lot of Poeple don"t want to put in the Time Effort and sometimes money into learning how to Do it so the Quality is has high as Possible so they Settle for something Like nero or some other Consumer Level do it all program Like "Nero" or "NeroVision Express" or "Ulead DVD Movie Factory" or One of a Hundred others but these Poeple Don"t want to learn how to do it so they settile for some semi mediocre Program that does allmost everything for them....Well anyways Just try it with Nero and if the Quality is Bareable for you then stick with it but if not come back here and read a one of the Guides and ask some Questions.....
    One More thing though, When Makeing a VCD or SVCD you will hardly ever get a full movie on a Single CD-R ,The Most you will ever get useing the Standard VCD format is 75-80 Minutes per 700mb 80minute CD-R and Nero will not Split your Movie in half so if your DivX movie is Longer that max 80 minutes you will have to Cut the DivX AVI file in Half your Self...If you don"t know how to do it you can PM me and I"ll tell you how,you might get a Faster responce that way, or maybe someone will explain it for you...well Good Luck

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

4. accy786

accy786 Member

thank you guys
    it sure is easy when you get help from some one who knows what they are on about. :)