1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DivX5.1 Hammering the cpu

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by PDR60, Oct 24, 2003.

1. PDR60

PDR60 Guest

I transcode my DVD's to avi's with Linux using Transcode/DVD::Rip. I have been using the DivX4 codec but I recently have been trying the new 5.1 codec. I have noticed that the resulting avi's just hammer the cpu's of the machine they are played back on. As soon as the movie goes to full screen it takes the cpu to 100%. I thougt it might be the machine I was watching it on (my laptop 750P3), but it also did this on my Dual 1 gig machine with 1.5 gig of ram and a Nvidia 5600/256Mb. I was very suprised to say the least. I did this test on a couple of different dvd's and the results were the same. Then I redid them in DivX4 codec and they droped to normal cpu ranges.( 35-60%).

I was wondering if anyone using a windows or even a linux machine has noticed this. Its very strange.

Also, does anyone have any good/bad views on the xvid codecs????.

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

Have you tried using ffdshow to playback your avis?

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. The video card doesnt matter crap with encoding.
    2. 100% is a little high -- not unheard of but high.... have you considered tweaking the process-priority settings? That usually does the trick.

4. _bingo_

_bingo_ Member

Hi
    I had the same prob with WinXP encodet files. The cpu usage was at 100% on a via nemiah 1ghz cpu.
    ffdshow filter istalled for playback only it went back to 35%. I didn't see any quality loose.

Seach for ffdshow-20030523.exe

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member