1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DiVXtoDVD audio out of sync! Aaaaarrrrhhh!

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by norverna, Mar 1, 2006.

1. norverna

norverna Member

Hi all,

My problem is as follows......
    I have an AVI movie and when I convert it to DVD using DiVXtoDVD, the picture is fine but the audio is so out of sync that it is unwatchable. I have used the software for a while now and have had no probs with it (new version).
    I tried it twice and both times it is out of sync. The actual AVI is fine I should point out. After the 2 failures I tried a different movie and it works fine.

My question is as follows......
    If it is the AVI (nd I imagine it is) what can I do? Another unamed forum suggested this.......http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=163929
    Does anyone know if this will work? Or if anyone has the answer please let me know!

Thanks!

Alan

2. redkev

redkev Guest

I had the same problem with this software. The answer is to junk it and use the following solution:

1/ open the avi and split out the sound as a WAV file using virtualdub (freeware). Make sure you set audio to full processing mode.
    2/ Using TMPGENC (14 day trial available) open the original avi AND the WAV and convert to mpeg. I use the VBR option.
    3/ Use TMPGENC DVD Author (14 day trial available) to create a DVD with menu.
    4/ Use DVDShrink (Free) to compress and burn the DVD.

A bit complicated until you get used to it but it defeinitely works !

3. norverna

norverna Member

Thanks for the advise.

I know that DiVXtoDVD is quite quick (around 1 hr per movie conversion)is the other method as quick and if not will it give better quality output?

4. redkev

redkev Guest

Hi there it is not as quick as DivxtoDVD. This is because
    a) there are more manual stages
    b) VBR does a double pass to improve quality.

On the other hand it does work.

The speed will in part depend on the spec of your machine but I typically copy old TV shows which are are about an hour max in duration.

To follow this process for one on a disk you should expect the following timescales:

1/ virtual dub Wav split - 1 min
    2/ tmpgenc conversion - approx 2 hours
    3/ tmpgenc dvd author - approx 20 mins
    4/ dvdshrink - under an hour to encode and burn.

You can skip dvdshrink and use dvdauthor to burn the disk but I use
    dvdshrink because I use it to control the amount of compression when
    I put 4 shows on one DVD which is not necessary for one movie.