1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY projector lamp? Dell 3400MP help

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Khemistry, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Khemistry

Khemistry Member

Damn I dont want to pay $350. Whats stopping me from getting a bulb from home depot? Per the Dell specs it uses a 156 watt 1500 lumen bulb and has a 130v power supply. So whats stopping me from getting a $30 150watt 1500 lumen 120 volt bulb?

Has anyone ever done this? Any advice? Im sure its not just that easy.

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

1) does it fit?
    2) same size?
    3) color spectral distribution the same?
    4) 10 volt overage ( 120 vs 130 ), will it burn out too rapidly ?
    5) if not identical size, but almost, will it have enough cooling?
    6) Focal point of the filiment the same ?

3. Khemistry

Khemistry Member

1) does it fit? Looks like its the same size
    2) same size? " "
    3) color spectral distribution the same? NO IDEA! :(
    4) 10 volt overage ( 120 vs 130 ), will it burn out too rapidly ? Well, I figure it will but I would rather run that risk than overheating the projector.
    5) if not identical size, but almost, will it have enough cooling? There isnt much room so if it fits at all i think it should be ok
    6) Focal point of the filiment the same ? Woah, I didnt even think of that. My old one literally exploded shattering the bulb and severing the filament so I dont know how to tell....

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Bro I'm with you, why pay those rat bastards $350 when I can buy one for $30? I guess the gamble is up to you, but my guess is that dell has their bulb tweaked a little for performance. Because of the 10 volt lower value of the HDepot bulb, colors may look bluer/whiter and bulb may burn out sooner ( burn hotter ). But also I would seriously doubt that dell would have a custom bulb made for them and not use a stock bulb from a manufacturer and just tweak it a little.