1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP TV vs LCD or Plasma

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by d_mathews, Jul 12, 2011.

1. d_mathews

d_mathews Regular member

Ok so I am wanting to buy a tv to use in my basement for a home theater. Right now I have a 42" vizio that is 1080p and 120hz and coundnt be happier but its not big enough. I want real good quality and while it isnt the best I will use it to compare to. I was wanting to buy the 73" DLP from walmart thats 3D, 120hz, and 1080p but I dont know how good those TVs look compared to a LCD. I work at a rent to own center and we have one 60" DLP and is really dark and hard to see compared to the LCD. It is a older model so idk if that matters compared to a new one and I couldnt find the remote so I cant mess with the setting to really see. The 73" is like 1298 which isnt bad but I dont want something that I dont get a really good pic on. I mostly play my xbox and ps3 on my tv anyways and I like to see all the detail and all that stuff. Any help would be appreceated.

2. CeddeeB

CeddeeB Member

There is a lot of good info on the different tv tech. But in general DLP will give you the most size for the money. Plasma has the best picture but you want to make sure you keep it in a room where you can control the light. LCD works in brighter rooms where Plasma won't.

Also, DLP requires a bulb replacement every few years. As the bulb dims the viewing angle gets worse and worse to where you must sit dead center to see anything. Personally I recommend the Plasma technology for most cases.

3. lxhotboy

lxhotboy Regular member

Honestly to me there is no competition for the plasmas now days. Honestly i just ordered a 51 inch Samsung Plasma at 720p that should arrive sometime today. I will be using it to watch movies, and play Xbox mostly. Now the first thing most people want to say is why didnot I get the 1080p. Well first of all I want to lay out the law with Plasma. Anyone who does their homework will find that LCD or LED cannot match Plasma in picture quality and DLP isnot even in the discussion period. All the top flat panel tv made each year with the best picture quality are plasma. NOT LCD OR LED. A top brand 720p plasma will drag a average 1080p LCD or LED through the water. I'm sorry folks who own those Vizio, Sharp, Phillips, Toshiba, 1080p LCD/LED. I know you spent a lot more money for that nice LED thinking you were getting the best picture but your not. Now of course a 1080p Plasma is the top dog period but i just want you to realize that plasma is that much better at picture quality than LCD/LED. If you dont quite understand what im mean its more like a top brand Plasma (Samsung, Panasonic, LG and some others) can put in its second string team (720P) against an first string team LED/LCD @(1080P).(Vizio, Sharp, Phillips, Sanyo, and other brands) Now i know Vizio and Sony actually do make one or two tvs that are ranked very high in picture as well but you have to spend a fortune on a top end SONY or Vizio to get to that kind of picture quality. On average with the entry level priced panels (thats 720p)Samsung, Panasonic, still seem to have a better picture quality plasma at $650-$1200 than a entry level LED (Vizio, Sharp Aquous, Toshiba, Sanyo, etc.$1000-$1800)at 1080p. LED is overpriced and Sony is garbage period unless you spend money on the high end tv. Sounds crazy right????? Just go to your local Best Buy or seller who has tons of side by side and check it out for yourself. Pay close attention to fine details such as individual strains and pieces of hair that can be see incredible detial in Samsung and Panasonic Plasma that you cannot see the actual individual strains of hair as well on a LED/LCD and ask someone who has a lot of experience with Plasma about the diff in picture quality, not a biased person who just looked at the numbers of 1080p saying its higher than 720p so there is no way possible. If you happen to have a friend with a good plasma you can put side by side with a LED/LCD hook them both up to a xbox 360 or PS3 and put the Plasma at 720p and the LED/LCD at 1080P and see for yourself. Seeing is believing right????????

LED is the closest thing to plasma and the best picture quality tv are usually Panasonic, Samsung, with LG, Sony and Vizio throwing in a good tv every now and then. Plasma also is a lot cheaper than LCD or LED. SO again better picture, better price, 600hz speed for plasma compared to 60-240hz, better colors, equal life span,and again dont believe the burn in is as big a problem as people say bc newer Plasmas have evolved.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011