1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP vs Plasma etc.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by StanH1000, Dec 4, 2007.

1. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Are the DLP and rear LCD displays in way comparable to Plasma or direct view LCD? There seems to be quite a bit of price diference for a 50" 1080p. What about the new LED bulb rear displays?

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Hi, DLPs are a product of Texas Instruments and were always quasi 1920x1080. Plasmas claim to fame were they hung like art on the wall. Of the choices I prefer LCD, better is 3LCD( 3 discrete color panels vs 1 on the older LCD technology) My fav is LCOS (Sonys SXRD and JVCS D-ILA) better definition.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  3. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

What about the Direct view, hang on the wall, type LCDs vs the rear projection LCOS or DLPs

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

I'm from the Tim Allen school where bigger is better.That said, I like the technology of RPV's over the thinner backlit methods(the RPV's seem to have higher lumen output and therefore look and appear brighter). I like a user replacable bulb.Also as from the previous post I'm very partial to LCOS technology.The superthin ones real claim to fame is they mimic art on the wall.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No not really. Its like comparing Oranges to Pears.

Rear projection TVs (RPTs) don't like bright rooms or people that do a lot of standing or sitting near the screen. Those people always complain about how dark the screen is. RPTs like controllable lighting and center viewing (middle or side). Under the right conditions RPTs can save you money (in the short term anyway) and give you a large very enjoyable viewing experience for cheap.

Flat-Panels (FP) cost more but they don't require a lot of up keep which is nice and they generally have a much better viewing angle than RPTs.

The LED RPTs have the same strengths as the regular RPTs and more. The DLP TVs that have LEDs instead of UHP lamps don't have a color wheel. That means they don't suffer from rainbow effect (no matter how mute) which puts them on par with LCoS video quality (except for LED DLPs sub-par black levels). They are a little more convenient than LCoS because the LEDs last a lot longer than lamps. The 3LCD RPTs usually are the worst performers but new technologies are closing the gap between DLP and 3LCD, although, LCoS is still the clear winner.

Remember, considering a 50" TV set and the same high quality source, you must be within (under) 10 feet to see a difference between 720p and 1080p. If you are further back that 10ft then you might as well go for a 720p set (if it is an option) at that size.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2007