1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLP

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by DVD7227, Sep 29, 2006.

1. DVD7227

DVD7227 Regular member

Created by Texas Instruments and now being used in HDTV's
    from what I was told a fellow employer in Best Buy told me that DLP's are great for gaming.Is it true?

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Sure. DLP is good for just about everything except of center viewing.

:)
    Ced

3. Chevyboy2

Chevyboy2 Guest

whats that supposed to mean? can you elaborate on that. center viewing? am i missing somthing here?

4. DVD7227

DVD7227 Regular member

I dont know what he meant but Im still sticking with DLP, most DLP's I seen are from Samsung. But yeah DLP is kinda cool when I was looking at it on bestbuy it looked crispier and the games looked nice on it.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

@ DVD7227,

I ment exactly what I said. Sorry for sounding sarcastic but your orignal post through me off.

@ (everybody)
    The Viewing angle of a TV is the measure of at what angle the picture starts to degrade (get dark, drop detail, lose color fidelity, ect...).

I'm not sure what this generations of DLPs Viewing angles are but for reference...

- Flat-screen Direct-View CRTs and Plasmas has a 170-180 degree viewing angle (meaning the picture looks good from all side and angles between 0 and 180 degrees or 0 and 90 degrees). No light focusing needed.

- New model LCDs have a 140-160 degree viewing angle. Some light focusing used at the pixel level.

- Rear projection TVs have a 130-140 degree viewing angle. Most of the light though is lense focused in the middle so that at normal viewing position (i.e. a couch) it is possible to see a good picture at about 45 degrees off center. But standing up of sitting on the floor at angles below normal viewing position can vary between exceptable and horrible.

Again I'm sorry for sounding sarcastic,
    Ced

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I've seen a 54" DLP screen TV, it wipes the floor with plasma or LCD, viewing angles are far, far superior. Less maintenance too.....plasma are notorious for having a short lifespan (5 or so years)

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Is that still true Pulsar or have they fixed that? Some sort of gas problems in the oldies (so they say) but I was told that wasn't true anymore about plasmas.

Also with the darks on rear projection ... use to be true (or is true with the cheapies) but I've got an sony LCD rear projection and the pic is awesome...no problem with dark colors or the pic appearing dim in a bright room though it was their top of the line. Ced is right about viewing angle though great in the center or center right/left but a little too far and it sucks. Fortunately, I live alone.

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Not sure about the plasmas, one good thing about DLPs is that it is impossible to get screen burn, as the colours are not generated, they are also truer colours than CRTs & the rest.
    I just don't trust plasma at the mo', the resolution on DLPs is infinitely better than any of the rest on offer. I am just very keen on the sheer simplicity of the DLP technology, streets ahead of the rest in my opinion.

9. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

The DLPs are very nice, but like others there are pros and cons. The bulbs have a limited lifetime and have to be replaced. The normal expectancy is 20,000 hours depending on your settings. From what I heard the cost ranges from $200 and up. One would have to factor in how many hours is your television on per day/year. What happens when they no longer make the bulb for that particular model? Or does one fits all? I have a really nice Energizer flashlight that will be in the garbage once the bulb burns out, because I can no longer find that particular bulb. I even emailed Energizer, all I got was sorry.

10. diabolos

diabolos Guest

For a DLP bulb? Bubls in rear-projectors last for about 8,000 hours (half-life 4,000 hours).

Plasmas last for 60,000 hours or longer. Thats over 30 years if you watch tv 5 hours a day.

Only the best of these newer technologies (LCD, DLP, LCoS, and Plasma) can get close to the color accuracy of a properly calibrated CRT (direct view of projection). The CRT technology isn't inferior to any of these technologies in terms of picture quality.

The only techonogy that has come close to matching (and mabye exceeding) the CRT in contrast ratio and color accuracy is the SED technology which won't be available till 2008.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2006
  11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Did a quick google on plasmas,

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/plasma-tv-faqs.html

I stand corrected. As for the CRT & colours, I do not know what I was thinking! Of course CRTs are better. I was probably having a senior moment...

Sorry for the misinformation & general stupidness of my post. I will leave it there for posterity....

I still prefer DLP to plasma.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  12. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Yikes, I was looking at the new Samsung DLP, which uses LED. Doing a google search show many not even lasting 1000 hrs (Toshiba), that's really sad!

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38692&page=2

Will have to do some "serious homework" before ever investing in a HDTV. Kindly excuse my ignorance.

13. Largarto_

Largarto_ Guest

"Plasmas last for 60,000 hours or longer. Thats over 30 years if you watch tv 5 hours a day."

Yeah but, they're estimating......or maybe someone sat 24 hours a day for 7 years to check it out? Wait....have plasmas even been out 7 years?
    hmmmmm...

14. DVD7227

DVD7227 Regular member

I read on a wikipedia article describing my answer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dlp

After reading this I think imma go with the Samsung DLP's which is showing up alot on the commercials, and after seeing it for myself It shows it has potential for games after playing Dead Rising on it on best buy.

15. diabolos

diabolos Guest

The plasma technology has been around since the 1970s and uses light emmitting phosphors that are similar to what is used in CRTs.

Plasma Technology:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_tv

Here is a study done by Pioneer who in my book is number 2 in the plasma game...
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p.../273087528Pioneer DTV White Paper - FINAL.pdf
    Adobe reader required!

-----

I feel that the LCoS and DLP both have better pictures than Plasma or LCD sets. The picture just seems warmer. If the projection tv manufactures can find a longer lasting light source I would be hard pressed to find a reason to buy a flat panel, unless I want to put a tv on the wall or course.

LEDs last for 20,000+ hours and lasers last even longer. Don't forget that with LEDs and Lasers comes the demise of the color wheel and the rainbow effect!

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2006
  16. Largarto_

Largarto_ Guest

What I meant was it hasn’t been that long (7 years) since the short life problem with the plasmas was reportedly fixed. It’s the mfg. estimated claim based on accelerated aging tests. Performance is greater but, I’ll hang with the DLP for now.

17. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

@diabolos

Dosen't the newer Sony LCDs use LCoS technology though.

Say like the Sony KDS50A2000 ? That's the one I've been looking to get.

18. Largarto_

Largarto_ Guest

No, the KDF models are LCD projection. The KDS models (SXRD) models are LCOS.

19. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

That's what I just posted ?

20. Largarto_

Largarto_ Guest

Sorry, just trying to differentiate between old LCD and the LCOS (Liquid crystal on silicon).