1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMA or Ultra DMA

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DennisLee, Dec 22, 2004.

1. DennisLee

DennisLee Member

My DVDshrink is now very slow, I checked the IDE device and it was set to DMA if available.
    I uninstalled it and reinstalled and then checked it and it was set to Ultra DMA.
    What is the difference? This also has not sped up DVDshrink

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Not sure of the EXACT difference, but as far as I am aware the two are much the same. (DMA means Direct Memory Access). I think that instead of using the processor to its' limit, you utilise the memory to transfer the data.
    I would imagine the more memory the better. I have 1gig of memory. Also have you adjusted virtual memory in hardware properties? As far as I am aware this uses your hard drive as a resource for your memory to draw from.
    Sorry to sound so vague, but I have VERY limited knowledge in the matter!
    Have you de-fragged & disc cleanup lately? Clearing out your cookie folder can help in speeding up your machine.

3. G-4CE

G-4CE Regular member

defintley pc performance a program wont change by it self

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Some machine specs would also help us in identifying your problem.

5. DennisLee

DennisLee Member

The thing is at first it was faster now its slowe, I have defraged and deleted the other backed up movies.
    I also have a 60 gig HD , radeon 9600se, the burner is a 16x8 dvd dual which will burn at 8 but I burn at 4 or 2. My virtual memory is set to 576 mb, it can be set as high as 1152mb, do you think this will help any?

6. DennisLee

DennisLee Member

its an athlon 1.15 ghz 384 ram, xp pro, radeon 9200se, 16x8 dual dvd, everything works fine its just slowed way down analyzing and encoding in the last day or so, it was pretty fast at first, I have cleaned out other backed up movies, all the cookies, disk clean-up and defraged, I was wondering about virtual memory, its set to 576 can be set up to 1152 will this help?

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I would set your vitual memory to 1140 & give it a whirl. One thing I have found is to give everything a go. If you get into a muddle you can always use system restore to return to previous settings. I have found this to be invaluable.

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Double post, whoops!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004