1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMA/PIO caused errors and WindowsXP spII

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bergwald, Jan 21, 2007.

1. bergwald

bergwald Member

I was reading a thread here [http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/454463] posted two days ago in which argyle007 thought he was having problems with “1Click DVD Copy 5” causing Cyclic Redundancy Check [CRC] errors. Yesterday I had the same problem using CloneDVD2 and then DVD Shrink, but I didn’t get six. I stopped at around three or four and haven’t run anymore discs since. I read somewhere the max is six [cumulative] CRC errors causes Windows to automatically [and permanently] revert from DMA to PIO. I believe my problem was caused by a damaged disc as both programs stopped at approx. the same point with CRC errors and when playing it I had serious video/audio problems at what should be approx. the same point in the disc. While reading the thread by “Alkohol” [http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/260038] concerning this matter I went to device manager. My display window doesn’t look quite like those in the thread but under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers > NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller my dvd drive is:
    Transfer mode: Ultra DMA 2 – Ultra33 and below that
    “Let BIOS select transfer mode” is checked.
    I went to “Help and Support” from my start menu in XP, searched PIO and one of the results said that WindowsXP service pack II had cured this. Argyle007’s post was from 01/19/07 but he didn’t say what o/s he was running or if he is current on his updates so I am just curious if anyone knows if spII did in fact cure this?
    Thanks,
    DB

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

PIO isn't a permanent problem. If there is a problem causing a drive to go into PIO, it needs to be repaired. By deleting the channel the drive is on under Controllers in Device Manager and rebooting the drive will go back into DMA, if the problem isn't there affecting the drive.