1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DMA??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by krsmith, Sep 7, 2004.

1. krsmith

krsmith Member

hey guys, ive been trying to back up my dvd's.. ive tried dvd shrink/decryptor and ive tried dvdxcopy but i keep getting random unexplained errors midway through the reading phase. well when i opened my dvd burner program itself it said that my "dma" (direct memory access i believe) was turned off and it needed to be turned on to successfully copy dvd's to my hard drive. but i have no idea how to turn this on. can someone please help me? i dont know if it matters but i have an external lite on burner.

thanks!

2. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi krsmith
    Right click on my computer
    Click properties
    Click hardware and click device manager
    Click the + on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    Double click primary IDE channel
    Click advanced settings and you will see where to change to DMA
    Repeat for secondary IDE channel
    Hope this helps.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    john lennon 1940/1980[/small]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

4. krsmith

krsmith Member

actually my usb port is 1.1, not 2.0... tell me this doesnt mean i wont be able to burn dvd's.. can i buy an adaptor or something??

5. Nephilim

6. krsmith

krsmith Member

man i have no clue what that is. do you mind maybe giving me a link to how the right product or download? how do i know if my laptop would support it? is something like this what i need? http://www.cwol.com/usb/usb-2-pcmcia-card-2-port-ub502.htm or maybe this? http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=39-130-003&DEPA=3

so with 1.1 i wont be able to backup dvd's with an external burner?? that explains all my problems..

pleas help with the next step for me to take, im clueless as they come. thanks.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

krsmith,

That's exactly what he's talking about -

Your next step is to see if a card can be installed in your laptop.

Firewire is just another type of connector, a little faster than a USB connector.

It's time to get out your PC's spec book and to make some phone calls to your local PC mfg OR your local computer store -

Good luck

Cheers

Pete

8. krsmith

krsmith Member

so i should do some research (phone calls, user manual) to see if my laptop will support USB 2.0 PCMCIA card. If it does, i should get one and then ill be able to back up my dvd's on my burner. and if not? then what, am i screwed?

9. Nephilim

For the FireWire option you should call or check both your laptop's and burner's manufacturer websites to determine whether they both support FireWire. If both of them do then you simply need to get a FireWire cable to connect the two.

If not you need to call or check the laptop manufacturer's website to determine whether your laptop supports a PCMCIA expansion card. If it does you can pick up a USB 2.0 PCMCIA and you should be good to go.

Another option would be to replace the existing internal optical drive in your laptop with a DVD burner.

If none of these options work then you're screwed.

10. krsmith

krsmith Member

I'm pretty sure my burner and computer would be able to support FireWire, both are pretty new. And DVD burner is a lite on. So what kind of FireWire cable do I need? Do you maybe have a link? Do I have to get a firewire card and a cable or just a cable?? Thanks for your help!!

By the way my burner is able to burn with my usb 1.1, but it takes a reeealllllly long time.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  11. Nephilim

I'd be positive. FireWire cables aren't exactly cheap :)

Make/model laptop?

Model # of your burner?

It may work most of the time but I wouldn't bank on it being 100% reliable.

12. krsmith

krsmith Member

My laptop is an IBM R-31 and my burner is a liteon 8x...the s/n is 401426003345. just how expensive are firewires? are they more expensive than high speed usb 2.0 bus cards or whatever? which would be my best bet, pricewise and efficiency wise?

13. Nephilim

14. krsmith

krsmith Member

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  15. krsmith

krsmith Member

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

krsmith,

You might want to go back and try to work out what a forum is all about. We don't wipe your nose and make house calls to read bedtime stories.

Not only did Nephilim provide you with all the help you needed BUT he then saved your poor fingers from dialing your local electronics store to ask about a card for you, he saved you the effort of contacting your PC's mfg to answer even more questions for you. As you'll recall in your re-reading, I told you your next steps and he saved you the trouble. THEN you whine because you don't have a "Buy" icon ? ? ?

And THEN you come back with a question mark ?

Tell me PLEASE, just how do you get dressed in the morning ? ?

BTW, in case you still haven't gotten it, the next time you ask a question of Neph you'll probably get a hyper-link. That's what we do for almost everyone else here, you got super treatment, and for you, - - - it still wasn't enough -

You own Nephilim a HUGE, REALLY HUGE Thank you and an apology for being so thankless -

Pete

17. krsmith

krsmith Member

Wow, okay that was really unexpected. Obviously I am very thankful for all the help I have received. I was going to call to see if my laptop supported firewire but he checked it out before I could, and I am thankful for it. The reason why I responded with a question mark is because I did not know if the post had gotten to the bottom of the list and was forgotten about, nothing more nothing less. I am very thankful for what you guys do and how you help me because I am computer brainless. Don't mistake my ignorance with unthankfulness. I wasn't trying to be a jerk about asking about the "Buy" icon, I was actually confused about it because I did not know if you could buy it straight from the IBM website or if that was just an information website and I had to buy it somewhere else. I didn't think that question was out of line. I don't think I did anything too out of line and the things I said were taken out of context by you. I am VERY, VERY greatful that people like yall help guys like me with problems like these, because I don't know where I would go. I am sorry if I came off the wrong way, and I definately think the comments you said to me were pretty harsh and I don't think it was called for. Thanks for all your help.

18. Nephilim

It took me a while because I was about 650 miles from home for the last four days :)

I'm not well versed in what PCMCIA cards are compatible with what laptops. It's possible that all the cards are universal and the one on ebay would work but, they may not be. Like I said, I'm not an expert at laptops so my best advice at this point would be to contact IBM and inquire about that perticular item # and how to order it.

19. krsmith

krsmith Member

Thank you very much for your help