1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dnmnbrown

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dnmnbrown, Feb 17, 2004.

1. dnmnbrown

dnmnbrown Member

I have been trying to backup some DVD's sold by PBS. Some of these disks appear to contain 2 copies of the same video stream. For example a DVD-9 disk contains 4 ~2Gb VOB files for an about 100min of play time. A preview suggests that these constitute two pairs of identical video files. Why???

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well there Might be a Wide Screen version and a Full screen version...I see this Occationally with some Movies....Cheers

3. dnmnbrown

dnmnbrown Member

Yes, I've seen A/B DVD's with one in 4*3 and the other 16*9. If that is so these files play exactly alike on the default player in shrink. I get the occasional pause in these in a player (powerdvd) and I wondered if the second track might be a backup and the .ifo tells it to switch if a corrupt spot gets hit. Is that something you ever heard of?? Anyway TNX for your interest. db

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

When I backed up Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back with DVD Shrink 3 Beta 5 it showed 2 movies, even though there's only a widescreen version on the disk. The total size for the 2 movies came to more than the total for the entire disk, so apparently there was something in the IFO files that said there were 2 movies when there was actually only 1. I know this is common when there are 2 different versions of the movie that have the same aspect ratio, like when there's an alternate ending included, and I believe that there are some movies that have things like credits and titles in multiple languages that use the same approach. In the case of Jay and Silent Bob I couldn't find any reason for it (and it reauthored fine with just one of the 2 movies that were listed), so I don't know what else it may be used for. Maybe just to make it a pain to backup.

5. dnmnbrown

dnmnbrown Member

I have this on two PBS sets each containing 2 disks. Shrink says there are twice as many "tracks" in the main movie as there is time to render them (near 2Gb each and all in the main movie file). The edit renderer shows them as identical. One of these sets is called "Traffik" and inspired the US movie version. The set was made by Acorn media.