1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS server not responding

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by foden12, Jun 11, 2011.

1. foden12

foden12 Member

Hi everyone, ok I recently upgraded my Rogers Modem and I can connect my two Acer laptops to the Dlink wireless router without any problems. But now I cant connect to the internet through my main pc which is hard wired. I keep getting "DNS server not responding". I've searched the internet and done what was suggested on many sites, ie: resetting the router to factory default status, manualy input the IP address, resetting the automatically IP address, cmd prompts, ipconfig all kinds of wounderful ways to try to get this thing to work but still nothing.

Please help.
    thanks.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

disconnect the coax cable & the power cable to the modem, count to 20 then reconnect the power & coax cables in that order.

3. foden12

foden12 Member

Oh man...I hope it's that easy...I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.
    yesterday I tried to input the physical address then click validate on exit..still same thing...so if your suggestion works. I'll sooo grateful.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  4. foden12

foden12 Member

Hi ddp, tried what you suggested but still nothing.....I'm thinking it must be windows 7 ultimate issue which is not compatable with my configuration. Which sounds odd as I never changed anything when I plugged the upgraded modem. If I connect directly to the modem bypassing the router it connects without any problem. Now contemplating a format and reverting back to windows XP pro which I never had any concerns as much as this. But thank you for your input...this has me stumped big time.

5. foden12

foden12 Member

Hey ddp,
    Finaly figured out the dns issue, so simple its stupid.....just unplugged the Ethernet cable from the router and popped it into the new modem, bingo, connected....what rogers DID'NT tell me was that the new modem also acts as a router...go figure.
    Thanks for your suggestion and help anyway.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is the rogers modem also wireless also as know they do have them?

7. foden12

foden12 Member

Yeah seriously....I just figured that since I tried just about everything I tried which I read, then there must be something simple I was missing.
    Was'nt untill my son mentioned he had upgraded to the same modem and said he took away the router and connected all his pc's and laptop, the bell rang and I realised what I was doing wrong...had to ditch the router.

8. TreePro

TreePro Regular member

I'm not clear how you had modem with built in router and D-Link router connected, but I have a router connected to a router from the modem with no problems. My Nephew is appox 300 feet next door and I ran a Ethernet cable to his house from my main Belkin wireless router and set up a Netgear wireless for him. I also set up a Trendnet wireless router from the belkin in my sons room because he had some device that required a different security setting that I use on the Belkin. A sub router connected from lan of main router to wlan on sub you can't transfer data between computers, but can configure differently if that is necessary. Glad you got it working anyways.

9. foden12

foden12 Member

I asked Rogers about the SMC Modem which I'm now using, they just said because it is wireless capable they is no need for a router to be connected as a go between. My security settings never changed but I noticed a dlink2 network suddenly appear and just reset the security to the dlink2 network and connected like a monkey to a banana.

10. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

11. foden12

foden12 Member

The modem/router is a SMCD3GN Modem, Rogers Communications ugraded my original one. You run the wireless connection straight through it, setting the ip address to auto and same with the subnet and prefered DNS server, name the network the same way with a WEP key as usual. My key stayed the same but I changed the network name for more security.

12. TreePro

TreePro Regular member

To share information between computers you need to have the main router assign addresses to all connected. I was jut trying to figure why when foden 12's d-link didn't work when he connected to his Rogers modem-router. If you connect a lan from the main router to a sub router it still should work. You just have that router assigning addresses to it's computers, consoles ect, but you can't share information to other computers in front of that router. I have 2 wireless routers set up off my main router like that and always work, never a problem. My Nephew has his wireless for laptop, PS3, XBOX 360, Wii and his I-Phone. My son has his XBOX 360, Wii and couple oter things. I like it because these sub routers can't access my computers in my network

13. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Not quite.. as long as they exist within the subnet specifications (like xxx.xxx.1.xxx or xxx.xxx.xxx.0.xxx) by using a wider subnet then all will see all within the lan regardless of how many hops. Broadcast for an ip to a dns server/router (anywhere) is always done on 255.255.255.255 .. which gives us the clue about subnet masking.. try changing the mask from (probably) 255.255.1 (or 2 or even 20).255 to the above and all your lan connected systems should talk to each other ;) The third triplet of numbers sets the "width" of the subnets.. first hop so to speak ;) .. damn network engineers eh?

14. foden12

foden12 Member

Ok Guys, see if I can clarify this better, when I connected the new router I had changed nothing. The 1 thing that did changed was the network name which I did'nt change. I saw on the network manager that there was a new network...Dlink2. I pinged the router and the physical address appeared so I tried to input that manualy without succsess. So I tried flushing the DNS server addresses first and then starting from scratch. Tried the IPCONFIG command and still nothing, tried ipconfig all command and still nothing. Tried assigning ip addresses to all the machines running and STILL nothing.ip release command/renew, tried the internet protocol route and still nothing. And yet when I clicked on the dlink2 network my two Acer laptops connected as soon as I put in the network key for my original dlink network, just the # 2 had changed. I read the booklet from cover to cover and still could'nt figure it out. So tried something I thought would screw up everything else..had nothing to lose right...unpluged the ethernet from the router and plugged it into the modem/wireless smc box from Rogers..and it all suddenly worked, no idea what I did..if anything, but it all works fine now....any ideas what went wrong, I would love to know what happened.