1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do any Dvd Burners Come Booktyped...

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by ofield, Dec 5, 2007.

1. ofield

ofield Regular member

Hi,
    I was wondering if any dvd burners already come Booktyped or
    Bittset, so I don't have to do it myself...

Thank You....

2. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi :)
    not that i'm aware of..
    the drive does what its instructed to do by its burn engine and whether the media is booktype compliant (-r no...+r yes)
    i believe nero auto bitsets +r media

3. pernal

pernal Regular member

@ofield
    I left you two replies at the other forum (Freaks).

I have a 20x LiteOn DVDRW LH-20A1P that I upgraded the firmware to KLON. I didn't have to use any software/utilities for it to bitset a DVD+R to DVD Rom. You only can bitset +R media; their was talk of -R, but never came to be. If you don't want to bitset -R media is actually more compatible than +R with no bitsetting. Bitsetting came about for compatability reason only.
    I used to use just -R when I first started burning in 2002 or 2003 (I forget on too many painkillers. LOL). Now every drive I have I can bitset if I want too. So now I have more options when I buy my dvds when on sale (Might be out of - or +). I watch for Verbatim for me and Sony,Maxell for give aways. Ty's are hard to come by and the shipping cand be expensive to order online.
    I know you asked about external in the othe forum. I have that drive in a Vantec NexStar DX (Part of NexStar 3 enclosures).
    Burn On,
    Russell

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

There is no need to bitset -R media, as far as I know. Bitsetting is for +R media to make the disc show as DVD-ROM, which will enable it to play in many of the older set top DVD players.

-R media is already DVD-ROM.

5. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi Grandpa :)

my understanding was that -r isn't the same as -rom
    because of the these reasons

-r and +r are once only recordable media
    -r is not -rom
    -rom = read only memory (not recordable too) that is how they come from the record companies (only they are pressed and not burned)
    -r means that it has the ability to be recorded on to once only and the disc's precoded info is not changable
    +r is as -r..except that the precoded info can be changed ie. bitset. once a +r disc has been bitset (-rom) it fools the player to believe its a pressed -rom
    and therefore plays it in 99% off players

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If you burn your home movies on a -R disc, and look at the disc in DVDinfoPro, or other software of that type, it will most definitely show as DVD-ROM.

If you burn a +R disc, the same way, and you don't bitset it, it will show up as +R.

If you bitset, it shows up as DVD-ROM.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  7. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi :)
    must admit i've never looked... will do so. the trouble is it gets to teck' for my limited knowledge from here in :)

8. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

From Wikipedia....

"DVD (also known as "Digital Versatile Disc" or "Digital Video Disc" - see Etymology) is a popular optical disc storage media format. Its main uses are video and data storage. Most DVDs are of the same dimensions as compact discs (CDs) but store more than 6 times the data.

Variations of the term DVD often describe the way data is stored on the discs: DVD-ROM has data which can only be read and not written, DVD-R can be written once and then functions as a DVD-ROM, and DVD-RAM or DVD-RW holds data that can be re-written multiple times."