1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do HD dvd players have 1080P resolution?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Ptacoma, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Ptacoma

Ptacoma Member

or is it just the 1080i?

2. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

They will be capable of 1080p in the future. The HD-DVD discs all contain 1080p movies. The Toshiba/RCA player only outputs 1080i although some have speculated that 1080p output capability could be enabled via a future firmware upgrade.

Ced

4. jmann2k1

jmann2k1 Member

If HD-DVD only supports 1080i, then why do my versions of Constantine, The Chronicles of Riddick, and Unforgiven all say that they support 1080p on the back?

I'm not trying to stir up trouble or anything, but it just seems impossible that the discs would be supporting the format if it wasn't possible with the format.

Jmann2k1

5. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

A simple explanation:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/blu-ray_2.htm

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

You kinda answered your own question there. Key word "Supports." What the player supports and what the format is capable of are two different things.

For example, the DVD format in capable of progressive scan although all the movie content is encoded in 480i. Also, some DVD players support progressive scan playback and even upconversion. But I'm sure you already new that.

---LATER---

At the projector pro artical...

They fail to relize that the Samsung's 1080p output is just a gimmick. It doesn't have 1080p@24fps pass through. Both the Toshiba and Samsung players convert the disc matirial to 1080i before feeding it to the Video processing chips. The chips only work with 1080i signals! Then the Toshiba player outputs the signal from the video processing chips while the Smasung player give you the option to either send the video out from the video processing chips to the TV or send it to the De-interlacer and then to TV. Either way the same picture is attained because the all 1080p sets are capable of de-interlacing interlaced content (for that matter, all Fixed Pixel Displays must deinterlace all interlaced video content).

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2006
  7. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

In english term: Nooooooo 1080i only

8. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

*Update*

The new RD-A1 HD-DVD Recorder from Toshiba has just shipped in Japan and is capable of 1080p output thru HDMI. It records HD using H.264 and VC-1 codecs and has a 1 terabyte hard drive. No word yet on US availability.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2006
  9. DamonDash

DamonDash Guest

Damm, Japan always get stuff before we do.

10. augerpro

augerpro Member

Also unless you bought a new model tv in the last 6 months it probably won't accept a 1080p signal any way.